Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 1947 RCA radio help

A friend has this in a cabinet with phono player. The chassis # is
RK-117. The amp/power supply seems to be missing. He said he found a
number for the amp - CS-123 (or 125). The radio has AM, short wave,
and FM. He wanted to try to get this going, so I told him I would ask
this group for info on the power supply/amp parts availability and any
other general knowledge about this particular radio. I would think we
could install a modern PS and amp if we knew the requirements. Of
course he also told me the radio has tubes in it, which I have no clue
if replacements could be found in this old thing? If anyone here has
some info, please feel free. I told my buddy I guarantee someone in
this group will know something about this. Thanks as always.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Golf wrote:
A friend has this in a cabinet with phono player. The chassis # is
RK-117. The amp/power supply seems to be missing. He said he found a
number for the amp - CS-123 (or 125). The radio has AM, short wave,
and FM. He wanted to try to get this going, so I told him I would ask
this group for info on the power supply/amp parts availability and any
other general knowledge about this particular radio. I would think we
could install a modern PS and amp if we knew the requirements. Of
course he also told me the radio has tubes in it, which I have no clue
if replacements could be found in this old thing? If anyone here has
some info, please feel free. I told my buddy I guarantee someone in
this group will know something about this. Thanks as always.

Hi...

With all due respect, it would seem a shame to not restore it as
close as possible to original...

If nothing else comes up, he can buy the info here...

http://www.olditemsale.com/rca/rca.htm

Take care.

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message
Golf wrote:
[...]

Tubes are still widely available for these oldies, but some are a bit expensive.
If the unit hasn't suffered terribly in damp storage, it might still be
restorable.
By all means, the first thing that should be done is to replace *ALL*
electrolytic capacitors in the unit. Then, replace all the paper and paper-oil
capacitors. The resistors can be checked with a good meter and left in place if
not too far out of tolerance (usually 10%, but in some cases 20%).
If you can't find a power supply chassis for this unit, you might have to build
one. The schematic looks quite complete, and should contain sufficient detail
for a construction project.

Then, apply power and listen for radio noises. Keep in mind that they won't
sound like the broadcasts of 1947, but should put out pretty good sound.
If there's trouble, then I suggest that you post your questions and requests for
guidance to the rec.antiques.radio+phono group... Terribly nice bunch of guys
there (well, most of them are) and all are quite willing to help and give
advice.
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 25, 5:41 pm, Don Bowey wrote:
On 7/25/07 3:29 PM, in article
. com, "Golf"

wrote:
A friend has this in a cabinet with phono player. The chassis # is
RK-117. The amp/power supply seems to be missing. He said he found a
number for the amp - CS-123 (or 125). The radio has AM, short wave,
and FM. He wanted to try to get this going, so I told him I would ask
this group for info on the power supply/amp parts availability and any
other general knowledge about this particular radio. I would think we
could install a modern PS and amp if we knew the requirements. Of
course he also told me the radio has tubes in it, which I have no clue
if replacements could be found in this old thing? If anyone here has
some info, please feel free. I told my buddy I guarantee someone in
this group will know something about this. Thanks as always.

The chassis probably has the radio, PS and amp, and he just doesn't
recognize the parts. 1947 stuff wasn't terribly sophisticated by modern
standards.

See if you can get the tube lineup.

Thanks for reply. My buddy thinks an amp is missing since there is a
round plug (more than 2 pins) hanging off the back of the receiver
with no place to plug in and he saw a number for an amp. I haven't
seen this thing yet, but we will give it our best to get going. He
originally bought this simply because he liked the cabinet!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Golf wrote:
[...]

practice, there is." - Yogi Berra- Hide quoted text -

Thankyou to all that responded. I knew you guys wouldn't let me down.
We are going to try to restore with original parts if needed, and will
post follow up questions as needed to the group suggested. Thanks guys.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
R! R! is offline

Golf wrote in news:1185402599.909928.147530
@o61g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

A friend has this in a cabinet with phono player. The chassis # is
RK-117. The amp/power supply seems to be missing. He said he found a
number for the amp - CS-123 (or 125). The radio has AM, short wave,
and FM. He wanted to try to get this going, so I told him I would ask
this group for info on the power supply/amp parts availability and any
other general knowledge about this particular radio. I would think we
could install a modern PS and amp if we knew the requirements. Of
course he also told me the radio has tubes in it, which I have no clue
if replacements could be found in this old thing? If anyone here has
some info, please feel free. I told my buddy I guarantee someone in
this group will know something about this. Thanks as always.

You may want to try this newsgroup:

rec.antiques.radio+phono

but a lot of us hang out here as well...

R!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Consider that round plug went to the speaker, which had a 'dynamic'
magnet (which served as the choke in the power supply).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

magnet (which served as the choke in the power supply).- Hide quoted text -

I did ask him if it may be a speaker connection, he said no because
the speaker was positioned in a location that I guess is away from
this plug, and the speaker was already connected via? Thankyou for
replying by the way.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 26, 4:49 am, "R!" wrote:
[...]

Thank you. I will check it out!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

It sounds like your friend would be best taking it to someone that
knows the subject. Meanwhile the next best move would be to tell us
what the valve/tube numbers in it are.

Do ignore any advice to wholesale replace parts. Really you need to
understand whats going on properly before working on it.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:

[...]

By all means, a good understanding of circuit operation and troubleshooting
technique is highly desirable before starting to work on a complicated piece of
equipment.
I do, however, continue to recommend replacement of all electrolytic capacitors
in the unit before applying power to the unit. The reason being that, since the
unit has likely been out of service for many years, the electrolytics are likely
dried out, and are likely to exhibit extreme leakage when powered up. This can
destroy a quite expensive power transformer in short order. It's much cheaper
to replace these capacitors than risk damaging or destroying the single most
expensive component in the set.
Paper capacitors easily absorb moisture and become leaky. They might not take
out the power transformer, but can lead to hours of troubleshooting frustration.
There's a high probability that the paper capacitors will soon fail, even if
they don't exhibit any immediate problems.
Resistors are a bit different, but they do change value. Moisture absorption is
a culprit there as well. Again, it's easy to check resistors in a tube set, and
they should be replaced as necessary.

Cheers!!!!
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
address)

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Golf wrote:
A friend has this in a cabinet with phono player. The chassis # is
RK-117. The amp/power supply seems to be missing. He said he found a
number for the amp - CS-123 (or 125). The radio has AM, short wave,
and FM. He wanted to try to get this going, so I told him I would ask
this group for info on the power supply/amp parts availability and any
other general knowledge about this particular radio. I would think we
could install a modern PS and amp if we knew the requirements. Of
course he also told me the radio has tubes in it, which I have no clue
if replacements could be found in this old thing? If anyone here has
some info, please feel free. I told my buddy I guarantee someone in
this group will know something about this. Thanks as always.

You would do well to repost this query in rec.antiques.radio+phono.

Bill Jeffrey