Geir Holmavatn

Default Mod US car radio to EUR

Hi,

I have a brand new Chrysler car radio with CD and Tape players. It is
manufactured for the US so in the FM band it tunes only to odd fractions of
the frequency 87.9, 88.1, 88.3, 88.5 etc (US FM channels)..

Do these radios (this is actually Chrysler Part No P05091609AD) provide a
possibility to reconfigure (with jumpers?) the FM tuning circuit to the
European standard (with much finer tuning).

Thanks for any hints or info on this issue

best regards

Geir

Dave D

"Geir Holmavatn" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a brand new Chrysler car radio with CD and Tape players. It is
manufactured for the US so in the FM band it tunes only to odd fractions
of
the frequency 87.9, 88.1, 88.3, 88.5 etc (US FM channels)..

Do these radios (this is actually Chrysler Part No P05091609AD) provide a
possibility to reconfigure (with jumpers?) the FM tuning circuit to the
European standard (with much finer tuning).

Thanks for any hints or info on this issue

best regards

Geir

I can't answer your question, but there's another issue here. IIRC US FM
broadcasts use a different de-emphasis (50 microseconds in Europe, 75
microseconds in the US). Even if you manage to mod the receive frequency,
the sound quality is likely to be rather poor.

It's possible the one chassis is made for both markets, so there may be an
easy mod to change it over, like a link or circuit trace, but I couldn't
comment further.

As a workaround for the channels being off frequency, it may be possible to
adjust the PLL reference crystal trimmer to shift the frequency slightly. It
won't make the display read correctly but at least it might mean it receives
on frequency in Europe.

Dave

Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , Dave D wrote:

I can't answer your question, but there's another issue here. IIRC US FM
broadcasts use a different de-emphasis (50 microseconds in Europe, 75
microseconds in the US). Even if you manage to mod the receive frequency,
the sound quality is likely to be rather poor.

In practice, it's almost unnoticable. If you have a critical ear, a good
speaker system and a quite room, it is, but who's going to have that
in a car?

Geoff.
IL Voice: (077)-424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Support the growing boycott of Google by radio users and hobbyists.
It's starting to work, Yahoo has surpassed Google.

CATronics

"Geir Holmavatn" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a brand new Chrysler car radio with CD and Tape players. It is
manufactured for the US so in the FM band it tunes only to odd fractions of
the frequency 87.9, 88.1, 88.3, 88.5 etc (US FM channels)..

Do these radios (this is actually Chrysler Part No P05091609AD) provide a
possibility to reconfigure (with jumpers?) the FM tuning circuit to the
European standard (with much finer tuning).

Thanks for any hints or info on this issue

best regards

Geir

You need to look he- http://www.edl.co.nz/ConvertersHP/pb1500.htm
Colin catronics australia

CATronics

"Geir Holmavatn" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a brand new Chrysler car radio with CD and Tape players. It is
manufactured for the US so in the FM band it tunes only to odd fractions of
the frequency 87.9, 88.1, 88.3, 88.5 etc (US FM channels)..

Do these radios (this is actually Chrysler Part No P05091609AD) provide a
possibility to reconfigure (with jumpers?) the FM tuning circuit to the
European standard (with much finer tuning).

Thanks for any hints or info on this issue

best regards

Geir

I forgot to say that the converter in my previous post will NOT modify the AM channel
spacing. The USA has 10KHz spacing, Europe has 9KHz spacing. Colin

Geir Holmavatn

"Albert Grennock" skrev i melding
news
Move to the USA and it will work fine.

Good point, however as everything nowadays is MCU controlled I thought that
maybe there was a setting somewhere.

Chrysler do export a significant part of their cars overseas and I thought
that they maybe had left a hw or sw switch somewhere to deal with this fact.

Who makes these radios for Chrysler...?

Geir

..

Geir Holmavatn

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" skrev i melding
In article , Dave D wrote:

I can't answer your question, but there's another issue here. IIRC US FM
broadcasts use a different de-emphasis (50 microseconds in Europe, 75

In practice, it's almost unnoticable. If you have a critical ear, a good
speaker system and a quite room, it is, but who's going to have that
in a car?

I agree with this. It's the frequency which is my primary concern. As
everything nowadays is MCU controlled I thought that maybe there was a
setting somewhere. All European FM tuners steps the whole band in 50 kHz
increments.

Chrysler do export a significant part of their cars overseas and I thought
that they maybe had left a hw or sw switch somewhere to deal with this fact.

Who makes these radios for Chrysler...?

Geir

James Sweet

In article , Dave D wrote:

I can't answer your question, but there's another issue here. IIRC US

FM
broadcasts use a different de-emphasis (50 microseconds in Europe, 75

In practice, it's almost unnoticable. If you have a critical ear, a good
speaker system and a quite room, it is, but who's going to have that
in a car?

I agree with this. It's the frequency which is my primary concern. As
everything nowadays is MCU controlled I thought that maybe there was a
setting somewhere. All European FM tuners steps the whole band in 50 kHz
increments.

Chrysler do export a significant part of their cars overseas and I thought
that they maybe had left a hw or sw switch somewhere to deal with this

fact.

Who makes these radios for Chrysler...?

Geir

Not sure who makes them, but I would assume there's a jumper that can be
changed somewhere.

Michael Kennedy

I hate digital tuners. I miss having a knob to tune in to the station you
want. Sometimes I will be between 2 stations on the same freq and cant get
my digital tuner to stay on either of them... It constatnly tunes from one
to the other.. Very aggrivating.

- Mike
"Geir Holmavatn" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a brand new Chrysler car radio with CD and Tape players. It is
manufactured for the US so in the FM band it tunes only to odd fractions
of
the frequency 87.9, 88.1, 88.3, 88.5 etc (US FM channels)..

Do these radios (this is actually Chrysler Part No P05091609AD) provide a
possibility to reconfigure (with jumpers?) the FM tuning circuit to the
European standard (with much finer tuning).

Thanks for any hints or info on this issue

best regards

Geir

Geir Holmavatn

"James Sweet" skrev i melding

Not sure who makes them, but I would assume there's a jumper that can be
changed somewhere.

Anyone else who have tips on how I can eventually find the OEM for Chrysler
radios...?

Others who think there is a jumper setting for this (another one has already
replied NO to the question).

Geir

Geir Holmavatn

"Fastvale" skrev i melding

"Geir Holmavatn" ha scritto nel messaggio

Do these radios (this is actually Chrysler Part No P05091609AD) provide

possibility to reconfigure (with jumpers?) the FM tuning circuit to the
European standard (with much finer tuning).

NO!

Are you absolutely sure (by experience) or do you just think so?

Chrysler / Chev do export a significant portion of their production and I'm
surprised if they have no provision to adapt their vehicles' equipment to
local standards...

Geir

James Sweet

"Geir Holmavatn" wrote in message
"James Sweet" skrev i melding

Not sure who makes them, but I would assume there's a jumper that can be
changed somewhere.

Anyone else who have tips on how I can eventually find the OEM for

Chrysler
radios...?

Others who think there is a jumper setting for this (another one has

already
replied NO to the question).

Geir

Is there an FCC ID number on it?

Geir Holmavatn

"James Sweet" skrev i melding

Is there an FCC ID number on it?

Unfortunately not.

This is mainly what is written on the label:

Chrysler Corporation
Part no: P05091609AD
Issue 1
Date Code 3174
Supplier 26777H
S/N TZ1AA3174F0528
Some Dolby licensing stuff
2004.AP.November
Assembled in Mexico

Thant's about all I see, any clue where I can go / who I can contact
further..?

regards

Geir

Chrysler Radio 1996 Dodge Stratus (Chrysler Sirrus?) Pinout question with GMC S15 Truck None Electronics Repair 4 July 4th 04 12:29 AM
Broken Radio JW Electronics Repair 3 May 31st 04 02:05 PM
Radio Volume goes crazy? Maybe a short? (mini-van) lbbs Electronics Repair 14 December 1st 03 12:07 AM
What commercial radio frequencies does Japan use? Eric Sta. Ana Electronics Repair 2 July 28th 03 08:01 AM
Mobile VHF radio problem Bob Engelhardt Electronics Repair 4 July 17th 03 06:43 AM