Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default GM car radio

For those who don't know, I like old things. I have an 89 Park Avenue,
and the right channel is out on the stereo. Surprisingly the cassette
works prefectly.

Scrapped a 90 Olds Delta 88 not too long ago, and today I had my guy
take the dash out, and I have discovered that the plugs are different.
At first I figured I would just throw the amp board in from the other
radio, but now I have my doubts.

The plugs are different, but it has heatsink, so it has the amp
inside. I know how hard it is to get DM165s, if that is what it uses.

I noted the number when it was out of course, 16073584.

The other radio had a good amp, had blown the front speakers, but had
a system problem, it was leaking standby voltage to the ACC line. That
problem is not going to be on the amp board, but IIRC (I used to work
on these things) the amp board wires directly to the output plugs. If
this is so then I can't use the whole board, but maybe I could use the
chips. Unless they're DM185s, and this has me a bit out of it.

It seems the DPL isn't working. If the DPL lines are all tied together
is the bad chip clamping it down ? Or does the 16073584 lack DPL ?
Actually I don't care too much, I just want two channels because I got
two ears. I am not putting a new stereo in it. I don't want it. I want
this one to work.

Anybody got a price on a DM 185 ? what like eighty bucks or
something ? I might spend that. I'd rather do that than screw
everything up, but if I screw it all up, you have NO IDEA what I'll
do. If I replace the stereo in that car I will probably go to jail. I
just want the factory one to work right, and I don't want to have to
lock my car.

The portable CD player and the cass-dapter will be under the seat, if
they fit, if not under the pimprest.

So GM radiio techs, or ex-GM radio techs, what are my options ? I
don't think this is one of these systems like in the Caddilacs, with
amps all over the place, and how is it that ALL of the right speakers
are out at the same time then ?

Got any chips ? I hope they're not 185s, if so I'll have to look into
other solutions unless someone has one to sell. I think I got a few
good 165s.

Suggestions ? [ ]

Thanks..

JURB

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Common vibe-induced failure in car decks. Since you have both channels
in tape, look to the tuner board solder connections to the amp section.
The tuners are usually 90° to the main board in car radios,(not implying
GM is so...) so vibration weakens the solder joints there.
JR

wrote:
[...]

Home Page:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

No no no JR, I have the same problem in the casssette. Perhaps I did
mis-say that. The front rihgt channel works just a little bit, and
what I ment by the cassette working perfectly is within the
parameters. It is still unbalanced.

With a commecially recorded tape of good quality the sound is
essentially the same as the radio. The right channel is out, but puts
out a little bit. If I turn the balance all the way to the right and
turn it all the way up I got stereo.

If I turn the balance in the middle the left channel sounds great, but
the left channel is very low.

If have a blown DM165 I will change it If it is a 185 I do not have
one. If that is so there is nothing I can do, so I will look into
other opotions.

JURB

car radio? Ken Weitzel Electronics Repair 6 October 21st 05 09:02 PM
car radio Ken Weitzel Electronics Repair 3 October 20th 05 10:13 AM
Car radio will not play when car is cold Dan Electronics Repair 2 February 13th 04 04:08 PM
car radio Karol Electronics Repair 3 November 5th 03 11:20 PM
VW CAR RADIO CODE Angulos Electronics Repair 2 July 10th 03 10:46 AM