Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Hitachi 51F500 rear projection TV problem

I recently came into posession of the above TV (our neighbor wanted to
upgrade). When you turn on the power, you can hear the TV starting
up, then all becomes quiet, except for three LEDs blinking on and
off. They are all on the centre pcb; two are green, one is red.
Anyone with any ideas on this issue, please give me some advice.
Barring that, if anyone knows of a downloadable tech service manual,
I would appreciate it. The nearest shop to me is an hour away, and
the TV is a monster to move.
Thanks!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 00:15:33 -0500, Improv1 wrote:

I recently came into posession of the above TV (our neighbor

wanted to
upgrade). When you turn on the power, you can hear the TV

starting
up, then all becomes quiet, except for three LEDs blinking on

and
off. They are all on the centre pcb; two are green, one is red.
Anyone with any ideas on this issue, please give me some advice.
Barring that, if anyone knows of a downloadable tech service

manual,
I would appreciate it. The nearest shop to me is an hour away,

and
the TV is a monster to move.
Thanks!

Meat Plow wrote:

Have you the skill and equipment to work on complex electronic

components?
You might try https://www.manualsparadise.com/MainSearch.do for

your
manual.

Thanks for the input! The $30.00 US is the most expensive I've seen,
but will be worth every penny if they are a trustworthy retailer.
Before I purchase anything, I will try a fix that I saw on this site.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Improv1" wrote in message

Thanks for the input! The $30.00 US is the most expensive I've seen,
but will be worth every penny if they are a trustworthy retailer.
Before I purchase anything, I will try a fix that I saw on this site.

Does the fix involve incantations, bat wings and eye of newt? Some
proprietary "tool" sold by the site owner?

How can you possibly try to "fix" something when you have no idea whatsoever
what may be "broken"?

Just curious.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 23, 4:59 pm, "Dave" wrote:
"Improv1" wrote in message

Thanks for the input! The $30.00 US is the most expensive I've seen,
but will be worth every penny if they are a trustworthy retailer.
Before I purchase anything, I will try a fix that I saw on this site.

Does the fix involve incantations, bat wings and eye of newt? Some
proprietary "tool" sold by the site owner?

How can you possibly try to "fix" something when you have no idea whatsoever
what may be "broken"?

Just curious.

Dave

Me too!!!

H. R. Hofmann

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 23, 4:59 pm, "Dave"

wrote:
"Improv1"

wrote in
message

Thanks for the input! The $30.00 US is the most expensive I've

seen,
but will be worth every penny if they are a trustworthy

retailer.
Before I purchase anything, I will try a fix that I saw on this

site.

Does the fix involve incantations, bat wings and eye of newt?

Some
proprietary "tool" sold by the site owner?

How can you possibly try to "fix" something when you

have no idea whatsoever
what may be "broken"?

Just curious.

Dave

hr(bob) wrote:

Me too!!!

H. R. Hofmann

Thanks to those who have posted similar problems in the past, and
those who have been helpful in resolving them, I have a pretty good
handle on what the problem is, and have confirmed this through
testing. There is no need for eye of newt, nor batwings... or even
bitchy responses to my post. I don't know your qualifications, nor
do you know mine.
Thank you to those who made this a positive experience!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 22, 11:15 pm,
(Improv1) wrote:
I recently came into posession of the above TV (our neighbor wanted to
upgrade). When you turn on the power, you can hear the TV starting
up, then all becomes quiet, except for three LEDs blinking on and
off. They are all on the centre pcb; two are green, one is red.
Anyone with any ideas on this issue, please give me some advice.
Barring that, if anyone knows of a downloadable tech service manual,
I would appreciate it. The nearest shop to me is an hour away, and
the TV is a monster to move.
Thanks!

Hello, it is a shame that people havt to be so to say, Jerks, to put
it mildly, from the replied postings I just read for your problem, I
have the same problem with a set I am working on for a customer, what
is happening is the shutdown circuit is detecting something wrong,
ether no vertical or horizontal deflection or convergence IC's could
be shorted (STK392-110) this is done to protect the phosphor on the
tubes from being damaged. The LED's on the power supply board are
there to indicate certain voltage presence on the secondary of the
switch mode supply. If you are missing any voltages or have lost
deflection, the set will come on with high voltage and immediately
shutdown. I do not have a solid answer for you cause it could be many
things, I would start with the convergence IC's. My set stays on long
enough to see an image in the tubes, so I have deflection. I have
replaced the convergence IC's and was not the problem. If any kind and
humble person has seen this problem and knows what is the problem, it
would be beneficial to myself and all that have posted here. I have
repaired a set with a similar problem by replacing the deflection
board, but that's a $300 fix just for parts. And I dont need
incantations, bat wings and eye of newt. Not in my tool box. An ESR
meter is handy though.

Thank you

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 22, 11:15 pm,

Anonymous wrote:

[...]

Thanks Ken. Yours is the type of response I was hoping for in a Tech
HELP forum. I have been working extra hours (plant shutdown... we in
the mechanical department are swamped with jobs) and haven't had a
chance to get too deep into the TV. I will post my solution when the
unit is up and running again.