Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Clue me in on this.

--
Capacitor start motor. Starts and runs in either direction as it pleases.
Capacitor good (replaced with others as test) 2 windings. Run winding across
line voltage, Start winding across line voltage with capacitor in series.
What determines rotating direction when starting?? This is on a small Delta
9 inch bandsaw. Both windings ohm out OK.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

070704 2133 - Warren Weber posted:

Capacitor start motor. Starts and runs in either direction as it pleases.
Capacitor good (replaced with others as test) 2 windings. Run winding across
line voltage, Start winding across line voltage with capacitor in series.
What determines rotating direction when starting?? This is on a small Delta
9 inch bandsaw. Both windings ohm out OK.

The motor should start and run in only one direction. My first thoughts are
that the starting relay in the motor is either stuck, or the contacts are
dirty. You will probably have to take the end bell off the motor and check
out this relay. It works on a centrifugal principal: as the motor speeds
up, the relay opens and removes the capacitor and start windings from the
circuit.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

indago writes:

070704 2133 - Warren Weber posted:

Capacitor start motor. Starts and runs in either direction as it pleases.
Capacitor good (replaced with others as test) 2 windings. Run winding across
line voltage, Start winding across line voltage with capacitor in series.
What determines rotating direction when starting?? This is on a small Delta
9 inch bandsaw. Both windings ohm out OK.

The motor should start and run in only one direction. My first thoughts are
that the starting relay in the motor is either stuck, or the contacts are
dirty. You will probably have to take the end bell off the motor and check
out this relay. It works on a centrifugal principal: as the motor speeds
up, the relay opens and removes the capacitor and start windings from the
circuit.

Slight correction. A capacitor start motor may run in either direction
but the winding used for starting should only start it in one direction
with a given wiring arrangement. This is determined by the placement
of the capacitor and the physical construction of the motor.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Warren Weber" wrote in message
. ..

--
Capacitor start motor. Starts and runs in either direction as it pleases.
Capacitor good (replaced with others as test) 2 windings. Run winding
across line voltage, Start winding across line voltage with capacitor in
series. What determines rotating direction when starting?? This is on a
small Delta 9 inch bandsaw. Both windings ohm out OK.

Is there a centrifugal switch in series with the start circuit? If yes,
then it is the relative phase of the two windings that determines the
direction of rotation. To reverse this type of motor, swap ends on either
winding (but not both). This is also true of split phase motors (no start
capacitor but still have the centrifugal switch).

I have seen motors of this type with open start circuits that will start in
either direction with the slightest nudge ... of course, they have very low
starting torque.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Warren Weber" wrote in message
. ..

--
Capacitor start motor. Starts and runs in either direction as it pleases.
Capacitor good (replaced with others as test) 2 windings. Run winding
across line voltage, Start winding across line voltage with capacitor in
series. What determines rotating direction when starting?? This is on a
small Delta 9 inch bandsaw. Both windings ohm out OK.

Thanks for answers. Had removed one end bell and wire terminations are
enclosed in epoxy. No starting switch on this end. Will check other end
bell. Motor at friends house Will recheck. Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Warren Weber" wrote in message
. ..

"Warren Weber" wrote in message
. ..

--
Capacitor start motor. Starts and runs in either direction as it pleases.
Capacitor good (replaced with others as test) 2 windings. Run winding
across line voltage, Start winding across line voltage with capacitor in
series. What determines rotating direction when starting?? This is on a
small Delta 9 inch bandsaw. Both windings ohm out OK.

Thanks for answers. Had removed one end bell and wire terminations are
enclosed in epoxy. No starting switch on this end. Will check other end
bell. Motor at friends house Will recheck. Thanks

NO start switch. ???

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Warren Weber" wrote in message
. ..

"Warren Weber" wrote in message
. ..

"Warren Weber" wrote in message
. ..

--
Capacitor start motor. Starts and runs in either direction as it
pleases. Capacitor good (replaced with others as test) 2 windings. Run
winding across line voltage, Start winding across line voltage with
capacitor in series. What determines rotating direction when starting??
This is on a small Delta 9 inch bandsaw. Both windings ohm out OK.

Thanks for answers. Had removed one end bell and wire terminations are
enclosed in epoxy. No starting switch on this end. Will check other end
bell. Motor at friends house Will recheck. Thanks

NO start switch. ???

http://www.lmphotonics.com/single_phase_m.htm

Capacitor start/run

Hope this helps you but it doesn't seem to answer your problem. However,
having properly identified the type of motor, you can Google for more info.
Or, post again with the motor properly identified.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Warren Weber" writes:

"Warren Weber" wrote in message
. ..

"Warren Weber" wrote in message
. ..

--
Capacitor start motor. Starts and runs in either direction as it pleases.
Capacitor good (replaced with others as test) 2 windings. Run winding
across line voltage, Start winding across line voltage with capacitor in
series. What determines rotating direction when starting?? This is on a
small Delta 9 inch bandsaw. Both windings ohm out OK.

Thanks for answers. Had removed one end bell and wire terminations are
enclosed in epoxy. No starting switch on this end. Will check other end
bell. Motor at friends house Will recheck. Thanks

NO start switch. ???

See if there is any torque during starting. I bet there is none and
little load, so it starts either direction at random. The circuit
to the starting winding is not being energized or the start capacitor
is open (but you said you checked this?).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Warren Weber" wrote in message
. ..

"Warren Weber" wrote in message
. ..

"Warren Weber" wrote in message
. ..

--
Capacitor start motor. Starts and runs in either direction as it
pleases. Capacitor good (replaced with others as test) 2 windings. Run
winding across line voltage, Start winding across line voltage with
capacitor in series. What determines rotating direction when starting??
This is on a small Delta 9 inch bandsaw. Both windings ohm out OK.

Thanks for answers. Had removed one end bell and wire terminations are
enclosed in epoxy. No starting switch on this end. Will check other end
bell. Motor at friends house Will recheck. Thanks

NO start switch. ???

If there's no start switch, it's a permanent split capacitor, or PSC motor.
Never seen one that would run in either direction without changing the
wiring though. Normally you swap the phase of one winding to reverse.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I had a machine with a reversable capacitor start 1 HP motor. I found
that if you switched the direction without stopping the motor, the
inertia of the machine would cause it to keep on running in the original
direction despite the winding mismatch.

James Sweet wrote:

"Warren Weber" wrote in message

"Warren Weber" wrote in message
m...

"Warren Weber" wrote in message
om...

--
[...]

Joe Leikhim K4SAT (this posting in DSB to placate the KOOKS)
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" writes:

[...]

Right, has to be an open start winding or something along those lines.
The direction is determined by the physical winding placement.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:

[...]

Yes, because that probably has a centrifugal starting switch which
disconnects the starting winding entirely when at normal speed. So, the
direction changing switch has no effect until it goes down to below about
75 percent of normal speed.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Warren Weber" wrote in message
. ..

--
Capacitor start motor. Starts and runs in either direction as it pleases.
Capacitor good (replaced with others as test) 2 windings. Run winding
across line voltage, Start winding across line voltage with capacitor in
series. What determines rotating direction when starting?? This is on a
small Delta 9 inch bandsaw. Both windings ohm out OK.

Thanks for all of the replies. Just a cap start motor. 1 cap 2 windings. As
shown on #5 that charles sent. Did ohm out per diagram. May be a shorted
start winding. This is a band saw motor (Delta) Price on motor almost same
as price of saw. (9 inch saw). Owner will replace saw. TIA. WW

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Makes sense

news:4ZmdnZHW7s3JOBDbnZ2dnUVZ_oqmnZ2d@bresnan. com...

"Warren Weber" wrote in message