Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Clue me in on this.

**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** writes:

I had a machine with a reversable capacitor start 1 HP motor. I found
that if you switched the direction without stopping the motor, the
inertia of the machine would cause it to keep on running in the original
direction despite the winding mismatch.

James Sweet wrote:

"Warren Weber" wrote in message

"Warren Weber" wrote in message
m...

"Warren Weber" wrote in message
om...

--
Capacitor start motor. Starts and runs in either direction as it
pleases. Capacitor good (replaced with others as test) 2 windings. Run

Thanks for answers. Had removed one end bell and wire terminations are
enclosed in epoxy. No starting switch on this end. Will check other end
bell. Motor at friends house Will recheck. Thanks

NO start switch. ???

If there's no start switch, it's a permanent split capacitor, or PSC motor.
Never seen one that would run in either direction without changing the
wiring though. Normally you swap the phase of one winding to reverse.

I had a machine with a reversable capacitor start 1 HP motor. I found
that if you switched the direction without stopping the motor, the
inertia of the machine would cause it to keep on running in the original
direction despite the winding mismatch.

Yes, because that probably has a centrifugal starting switch which
disconnects the starting winding entirely when at normal speed. So, the
direction changing switch has no effect until it goes down to below about
75 percent of normal speed.