Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default "Export" Schematic Page from a .PDF File Service Manual

Hi,

I have (free) Adobe Reader V5.0 (Windows 98SE computer). I bought a .PDF
file service manual for a TV. Unfortunately, a printout (quality HP printer)
of a schematic page does not produce the desired results. I tried everything.

Adobe's "Help" indicates I can print to an bitmap image file, but no
details on how to do it! This would be GREAT because I can use a graphics
editor to select the part of the schematic I want printed (larger print).

Does anyone know a technique to "export" a schematic page from a .PDF
file into a graphics image file (ex. PAGE38.BMP)?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Brad" wrote in message
Hi,

I have (free) Adobe Reader V5.0 (Windows 98SE computer). I bought a .PDF
file service manual for a TV. Unfortunately, a printout (quality HP printer)
of a schematic page does not produce the desired results. I tried everything.

Adobe's "Help" indicates I can print to an bitmap image file, but no
details on how to do it! This would be GREAT because I can use a graphics
editor to select the part of the schematic I want printed (larger print).

Does anyone know a technique to "export" a schematic page from a .PDF
file into a graphics image file (ex. PAGE38.BMP)?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

You can't extract pages with the free reader. You need the full Adobe Acrobat
software (expensive) package to do that. And if the author of the PDF file
secured the PDF package, even the full Acrobat package won't allow you to
extract pages unless you know the password to the file.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer to the end, the faster it goes.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Brad wrote:
snip

Does anyone know a technique to "export" a schematic page from a .PDF
file into a graphics image file (ex. PAGE38.BMP)?

I use a printer driver called "Acrobat Generic Color PS" to print to FILE
and then I manipulate the postscript output using Ghostscript, save to
whatever format I desire and then edit in an image processing or paint
program.

Regards,

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

DaveM wrote:
You can't extract pages with the free reader. You need the full Adobe Acrobat
software (expensive) package to do that. And if the author of the PDF file
secured the PDF package, even the full Acrobat package won't allow you to
extract pages unless you know the password to the file.

As it turns out, I faced this problem just yesterday. (I have the free
Adobe Reader 7.0.)

I wanted to print a schematic that occupied a third of a page. As Dave
writes, you can't capture a page, but you can capture an image or part
of one.

Anyway, when I printed the whole page, the piece I wanted looked awful.
I expanded the page so that the desired schematic filled the screen, and
then captured it, pasted it into a graphics program, and printed it -
and it still looked terrible. But when I expanded the page (in Acrobat)
as far as I could, then captured the desired schematic, then pasted it
into a graphics program and resized it and printed it, it was much better.

To capture, use the little button with the picture of the camera on it.
It lets you draw a selection box around whatever you want to capture,
even if it is bigger than the screen, and then pastes the contents of
the selection box into the Clipboard. From there, you paste into your
graphics program ...

Bill

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"msg" wrote in message
Brad wrote:
snip

Does anyone know a technique to "export" a schematic page from a .PDF
file into a graphics image file (ex. PAGE38.BMP)?

I use a printer driver called "Acrobat Generic Color PS" to print to FILE
and then I manipulate the postscript output using Ghostscript, save to
whatever format I desire and then edit in an image processing or paint
program.

Regards,

Michael

I hate the Acrobat software. I always find it very unfriendly to use, if you
want to do anything other than really bog standard functions. I now use a
full registered version that came with this computer when I bought it off a
friend who was closing down, and it is relatively straightforward to print
off pages from a service manual ( after you've spent about a half hour
staring at the screen whilst the stupid program initialises itself ), but
prior to this, I too used a standard 'free' version, and I know that I found
ways to print only the pages that you wanted, including zoomed views, and it
was also possible to print schematics 'tiled' across a number of sheets.
Don't ask me how I did it though. I recall that every time, I would sit and
puzzle over it until I was about six menu levels deep, and finally found it
again ...

The one good thing about a pdf file that it has over a bitmap, is that it
can be zoomed to a level enough to read component values, whilst not being
too many megs. A bitmap has to have a really good resolution in the first
place to allow high level zooming, and that tends to make it big.

Oh for the days when you phoned a manufacturer, and they sent you a nice
paper service manual, FOC, that had proper fold-out schematics, a block
diagram, and even a description of how their half-arsed circuitry worked !

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

msg wrote:
Brad wrote:
snip

Does anyone know a technique to "export" a schematic page from a .PDF
file into a graphics image file (ex. PAGE38.BMP)?

I should also mention that some PDFs display better than they print (depends
on options when they were created); if the visual looks good, I capture
it (or zoomed segments of it) using 'PRINT SCREEN' (in Windows) to the
clipboard and save the BMP for processing. It is easy to reassemble
the captured segments into a large bitmap for big pages.

Regards,

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Bill Jeffrey wrote:
DaveM wrote:

snip
To capture, use the little button with the picture of the camera on it.
It lets you draw a selection box around whatever you want to capture,

Indeed, I had forgot to mention that in my reply about screen captures
although I wonder what version of the reader first included the camera.

Regards,

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Arfa Daily wrote:

snip

O.T. -- did you get my last few emails regarding the SIP UA?
Please try again using X-lite. Nobody has called in to hear
the audio yet and I've had 162 unique IP hits so far.

Regards,

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Brad wrote:
I tried everything.

It REALLY bugs me when people make the statement you did
(when it is obviously just limp hyperbole).
Had you done EVERYTHING, you would already have what you need
--or would have proven the task to be impossible.

**I tried all that my limited imagination
and poor research skills suggested** would be apt.
..
..
Does anyone know a technique to "export" a schematic page from a .PDF

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...-on-my-website

Linux
http://www.google.com/search?q=PDF2PS+OR+PDFtoPS

Windoze
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache...DF995+PrimoPDF

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache...m_a_PS_file.3F

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Brad wrote:

Hi,

I have (free) Adobe Reader V5.0 (Windows 98SE computer). I bought a .PDF
file service manual for a TV. Unfortunately, a printout (quality HP printer)
of a schematic page does not produce the desired results. I tried everything.

Adobe's "Help" indicates I can print to an bitmap image file, but no
details on how to do it! This would be GREAT because I can use a graphics
editor to select the part of the schematic I want printed (larger print).

Does anyone know a technique to "export" a schematic page from a .PDF
file into a graphics image file (ex. PAGE38.BMP)?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Magnify the area you want, depress the Print screen button (PTR SCR).
this places a Bmp on the clipboard., open up a paint program and use the
paste function.
then you can trim off what you don't want, and print the rest.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"msg" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

snip

O.T. -- did you get my last few emails regarding the SIP UA?
Please try again using X-lite. Nobody has called in to hear
the audio yet and I've had 162 unique IP hits so far.

Regards,

Michael

OT - Bear with me Michael. Bit busy at the moment. Will try this week.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

DaveM wrote:
"Brad" wrote in message
[...]

Try with the foxit pdf reader.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Brad wrote:

Hi,

I have (free) Adobe Reader V5.0 (Windows 98SE computer). I bought a .PDF
file service manual for a TV. Unfortunately, a printout (quality HP printer)
of a schematic page does not produce the desired results. I tried everything.

Adobe's "Help" indicates I can print to an bitmap image file, but no
details on how to do it! This would be GREAT because I can use a graphics
editor to select the part of the schematic I want printed (larger print).

Can you get all of what you want to see on your screen clearly at a decent
resolution ?

If so then press 'print screen', open a graphics editor like Irfanview (free) and
go edit, paste.

You can then save what you wanted in whatever graphics format you like.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 10:40:06 -0400, "DaveM" wrote:

"Brad" wrote in message
[...]

Have you been able to get what you need from the PDF file yet? If not, I have
the latest version of the full Acrobat package, so if the PDF isn't protected, I
might be able to help you.
How big is the PDF file? If it isn't too big to attach to an email, you could
send to me and I'll do what I can to help. I should be able to extract the
image that you're trying to get, then send that back to you.
If it's a really big PDF file, then maybe you could post it on a web site
somewhere so I can download it.

Cheers!!!