Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default "Export" Schematic Page from a .PDF File Service Manual

"msg" wrote in message
Brad wrote:
snip

Does anyone know a technique to "export" a schematic page from a .PDF
file into a graphics image file (ex. PAGE38.BMP)?

I use a printer driver called "Acrobat Generic Color PS" to print to FILE
and then I manipulate the postscript output using Ghostscript, save to
whatever format I desire and then edit in an image processing or paint
program.

Regards,

Michael

I hate the Acrobat software. I always find it very unfriendly to use, if you
want to do anything other than really bog standard functions. I now use a
full registered version that came with this computer when I bought it off a
friend who was closing down, and it is relatively straightforward to print
off pages from a service manual ( after you've spent about a half hour
staring at the screen whilst the stupid program initialises itself ), but
prior to this, I too used a standard 'free' version, and I know that I found
ways to print only the pages that you wanted, including zoomed views, and it
was also possible to print schematics 'tiled' across a number of sheets.
Don't ask me how I did it though. I recall that every time, I would sit and
puzzle over it until I was about six menu levels deep, and finally found it
again ...

The one good thing about a pdf file that it has over a bitmap, is that it
can be zoomed to a level enough to read component values, whilst not being
too many megs. A bitmap has to have a really good resolution in the first
place to allow high level zooming, and that tends to make it big.

Oh for the days when you phoned a manufacturer, and they sent you a nice
paper service manual, FOC, that had proper fold-out schematics, a block
diagram, and even a description of how their half-arsed circuitry worked !

Arfa