Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Tim is offline

Default Buffing Scratches Off A CRT Glass.

OK, I have this nice TV that has a couple of small scratches on the
glass. Is there a safe way to buff out the scratch? Normally it would
not be a problem, but this set will be used for a close up application,
and it's really irrating at the required distance I need to use it from.

- Tim -
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If the scratches are not too deep, you can polish them out by
a sequence of grindings with successively finer grits. This
is long and tedious, but is the technique used for preparing
surfaces for metallographic examination -- which is also used
for preparing glasses and ceramics for microscopic exam at
times.

Alternatively, one could attempt to fill in the scratchs
with something with the same dielectric constant vs. frequency
(i.e., same index of refraction vs. wavelength). Water-glass
comes to mind (sodium silicate solution in water) as a possibility.

I would try the water-glass first. If it is not good enough,
it can be removed with water-based solvents. If it is good
enough you can seal it with a clear coat of your choice.

For a CRT I would NOT recommend flame-polishing, which otherwise
would be my first choice for descratching glass.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tim,
My experience and observations tell me that you will only make the scratches
in your CRT more obvious and worse by trying to buff them out.
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair
- - - - - -

Leave it alone and try to ignore them.
"Tim" wrote in message
OK, I have this nice TV that has a couple of small scratches on the
glass. Is there a safe way to buff out the scratch? Normally it would
not be a problem, but this set will be used for a close up application,
and it's really irrating at the required distance I need to use it from.

- Tim -

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Tim" wrote in message

OK, I have this nice TV that has a couple of small scratches on the
glass. Is there a safe way to buff out the scratch? Normally it would
not be a problem, but this set will be used for a close up application,
and it's really irrating at the required distance I need to use it from.

You could try that eyeglass scratch remover although I've heard it's not as
good as the TV ads say (big surprise).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tim wrote in :

OK, I have this nice TV that has a couple of small scratches on the
glass. Is there a safe way to buff out the scratch? Normally it would
not be a problem, but this set will be used for a close up application,
and it's really irrating at the required distance I need to use it from.

- Tim -

I think I would use an optical epoxy to fill in the scratch,not try to
polish it out.Scratches are kinda dangerous in CRTs as they provide a start
for cracks,like you would do for "cutting" glass;scribing it.

Say,have you seen those TV ads (USA) for the product to fill in scratches
on eyeglasses? WalMart carries it,in their pharmacy section where the
eyedrops are located.AND,it sells for less than what the TV source sells
it! "As seen on TV"....

It might be worth a try.

$15 USD,IIRC Opti-Clear is the name,or something similar.

It is also carried by Walgreens,I believe.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On May 16, 1:08 pm, Tim wrote:
OK, I have this nice TV that has a couple of small scratches on the
glass. Is there a safe way to buff out the scratch? Normally it

would
not be a problem, but this set will be used for a close up

application,
and it's really irrating at the required distance I need to use it

from.

- Tim -

What about that stuff they use to repair cracked windshields? Or is
that no longer available either?

GG

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

I think I would use an optical epoxy to fill in the scratch,not try to
polish it out.Scratches are kinda dangerous in CRTs as they provide a
start
for cracks,like you would do for "cutting" glass;scribing it.

I had one with two 'digs' in the safety glass. We used a windshield repair
kit on it with reasonable results.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On May 16, 3:08 pm, Tim wrote:
OK, I have this nice TV that has a couple of small scratches on the
glass. Is there a safe way to buff out the scratch? Normally it would
not be a problem, but this set will be used for a close up application,
and it's really irrating at the required distance I need to use it from.

- Tim -

I have had good luck in the past , using my Dremel motor tool a cloth
wheel
& jewelers polish that came with a older motor took kit. Good luck C
Grob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" writes:

On May 16, 3:08 pm, Tim wrote:
OK, I have this nice TV that has a couple of small scratches on the
glass. Is there a safe way to buff out the scratch? Normally it would
not be a problem, but this set will be used for a close up application,
and it's really irrating at the required distance I need to use it from.

I have had good luck in the past , using my Dremel motor tool a cloth
wheel & jewelers polish that came with a older motor took kit. Good luck C
Grob

Unless it's non-AR-coated polished glass, this sort of approach will likely
make it worse.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On May 16, 6:45 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
Tim wrote :

[...]

I bought a tube of the stuff. Applied it as directed and it did an
extremely lousy job.

I think it's $4 a gallon acrylic floor wax put into fancy bottles.
..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ancient_Hacker wrote in
oups.com:

:

[...]

The TV ads show a BOTTLE of the stuff,not a tube.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

scratches on glass Ken UK diy 7 June 3rd 06 04:05 PM
Anyway to remove crt scratches? [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 January 14th 06 10:32 PM
Can scratches on CRT screen be fixed ? moonlite Electronics Repair 5 November 2nd 05 06:47 PM
Glass scrapers [was: Polishing scratches out of glass] Jerry Built UK diy 1 May 17th 04 07:27 PM
Glass Scratches Herman Munster Home Repair 4 November 20th 03 03:36 PM