Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Buffing Scratches Off A CRT Glass.

Ancient_Hacker wrote in
oups.com:

On May 16, 6:45 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
Tim wrote
:

OK, I have this nice TV that has a couple of small scratches on the
glass. Is there a safe way to buff out the scratch? Normally it
would not be a problem, but this set will be used for a close up
application, and it's really irrating at the required distance I
need to use it from.

- Tim -

I think I would use an optical epoxy to fill in the scratch,not try
to polish it out.Scratches are kinda dangerous in CRTs as they
provide a start for cracks,like you would do for "cutting"
glass;scribing it.

Say,have you seen those TV ads (USA) for the product to fill in
scratches on eyeglasses? WalMart carries it,in their pharmacy section
where the eyedrops are located.AND,it sells for less than what the TV
source sells it! "As seen on TV"....

It might be worth a try.

$15 USD,IIRC Opti-Clear is the name,or something similar.

It is also carried by Walgreens,I believe.

I bought a tube of the stuff. Applied it as directed and it did an
extremely lousy job.

I think it's $4 a gallon acrylic floor wax put into fancy bottles.

The TV ads show a BOTTLE of the stuff,not a tube.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik