Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ken

Default scratches on glass

Hi,

Any-one know how to remove scratches from window glass? I have tried Brasso
but it did no good.

ken

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

Any-one know how to remove scratches from window glass? I have tried Brasso
but it did no good.

I believe jewellers rouge can cope with small scratches, but for
anything deeper go for the first reply :-}
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

wrote:

Any-one know how to remove scratches from window glass?

Cerium oxide powder and a powered mop, as big as you can arrange. Not an
easy job though.

Blonde shellac, to hide it.

Or else replace the glass -- it's not easy to get scratches out, even
when it's on the bench and easy to work on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ken

thanks for your replies. I was trying to avoid replacing the glass but looks
like it's the best way.

ken

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

wrote:

Any-one know how to remove scratches from window glass?

Cerium oxide powder and a powered mop, as big as you can arrange. Not an
easy job though.

Blonde shellac, to hide it.

Or else replace the glass -- it's not easy to get scratches out, even
when it's on the bench and easy to work on.

Or else make a feature of it - paint a design on it.

Or add a (fictitious) date and initials and claim is as something of
historical interest.

Or ignore it! That's what we've done with a window which was scratched in
the early 1940s. There comes a time when you forget about it!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Ken wrote:

Any-one know how to remove scratches from window glass? I have tried Brasso
but it did no good.

One other thing you could try is a hard rubber wheel on a dremmel type
of tool. You won't polish the scratches out completely (i.e. glass will
still look a bit cloudy), but you can get the bulk of it out... Needless
to say the softer the glass the better - window glass being least workable.

My, Father in Law is a glass engraver, and this is one of his tricks. He
only usually uses it though when he can cover the bit of "erased"
engraving with something else...

http://www.bertcollis.co.uk/engrave.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Darren

It all depends on how deep the scratches are.

If you run you finger nail across the scratch and it doesn't get
caught then apparently these scratches can be removed.

http://www.scratchrepair.co.uk/index.htm