Eric and Megan Swope

Default repair scratches in glass

Hi. Other than replacing the entire pane of glass, does anyone have
products or methods they use to repair scratches in glass? The scratch is
not able to be felt with my fingernail, so I think if there is a polishing
compound or something like that it might work. Thanks for any ideas.
Eric

Eric and Megan Swope wrote:
Hi. Other than replacing the entire pane of glass, does anyone have
products or methods they use to repair scratches in glass? The scratch is
not able to be felt with my fingernail, so I think if there is a polishing
compound or something like that it might work. Thanks for any ideas.
Eric

Greetings,

I once purchased a car where the windshield wipers had been neglected
and the clips had scratched a large arch in the car windshield causing
it to fail inspection. I paid a man $10 to fix it but I don't know
what he did. You might try calling around for how to fix a scratched
windshield.

Hope this helps,
William

William

Jeff Wisnia

Hi. Other than replacing the entire pane of glass, does anyone have
products or methods they use to repair scratches in glass? The
scratch is not able to be felt with my fingernail, so I think if there
is a polishing compound or something like that it might work. Thanks
for any ideas.
Eric

What you need is this glass polishing kit from JC Whitney:

http://tinyurl.com/8hefs

It's just cerium oxide polish and a hard felt buff....Those things
haven't changed much in a long time....

A bit pricey, but I got one earlier this year to remove some "windshield
blade" scratches from the kid's car and it worked "slicker than snot on
a brass doorknob".

You need an electric srill of course...

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia

Hi. Other than replacing the entire pane of glass, does anyone have
products or methods they use to repair scratches in glass? The
scratch is not able to be felt with my fingernail, so I think if
there is a polishing compound or something like that it might work.
Thanks for any ideas.
Eric

What you need is this glass polishing kit from JC Whitney:

http://tinyurl.com/8hefs

It's just cerium oxide polish and a hard felt buff....Those things
haven't changed much in a long time....

A bit pricey, but I got one earlier this year to remove some "windshield
blade" scratches from the kid's car and it worked "slicker than snot on
a brass doorknob".

You need an electric srill of course...

HTH,

Jeff

P.S.

I fergot to add:

If you're in Red Sox country, I'd be glad to let you borrow my polishing
kit, just e-mail me.

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Eric and Megan Swope

Thanks guys. This scratch is in a window pane in my shed, so would the
windshield repair kit, or the glass polishing kit from jc whitney work the
same even though it isn't a windshield?

Thanks.
Eric

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

[...]

Ulysses

Thanks guys. This scratch is in a window pane in my shed, so would the
windshield repair kit, or the glass polishing kit from jc whitney work the
same even though it isn't a windshield?

Thanks.
Eric

Cerium oxide and a hard felt wheel (like others have said) is what
glassworkers use to polish beveled glass etc. However, window glass may be
harder than 1/4" plate glass and may be harder than windshield glass. I
have attempted in the past to polish out a scratch in window glass without
very good results. I have also polished beveled glass and it turned out
perfect.

How big of a window are we talking about? It might be easier just to
replace the glass.

[...]

Eric and Megan Swope

It is only about 8 inches by 7 inches. I priced it at the hardware for a
piece the above dimensions, 1/8 inch thick, and it was a 1.20. I'll
probably go this route with this, but was just looking for ideas as well in
case it would be in a larger piece of glass such as one of my house windows
which instead of individual panes are a large piece.

[...]

JohnR66

"Ulysses" wrote in message

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in message
Thanks guys. This scratch is in a window pane in my shed, so would the
windshield repair kit, or the glass polishing kit from jc whitney work
the
same even though it isn't a windshield?

Thanks.
Eric

Cerium oxide and a hard felt wheel (like others have said) is what
glassworkers use to polish beveled glass etc. However, window glass may
be
harder than 1/4" plate glass and may be harder than windshield glass. I
have attempted in the past to polish out a scratch in window glass without
very good results. I have also polished beveled glass and it turned out
perfect.

That's interesting. Flat glass is nearly always soda-lime glass. Regardless
of the process used to make it, it has about the same hardness (scratch
resistance, not durability). It is refered to as soft glass not because of
it's hardness, but because of it lower melting point neaded to ease the
manufacture of it.
John

~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

Greetings Johnny,

In colloquial English glass is a solid at room temperature. Solid has
a different definition in colloquial English than in the science lab.
Someone isn't wrong when they say an empty cardboard box has nothing in
it because of all that air in there.

Hope this helps,
William