Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default CRT Repair

OK, it might not make sense, but I really want to fix this NEC
Multisync FE21111SB - but I don't really want to ship it to NEC's
place in Ohio and back. Maybe someone here has some experience with
this kind of malfunction.

It started about a year ago (the unit is now 4 years old). When I
would first turn it on, it would flicker and for a few seconds the top
half of the screen was focused on a bright horizontal beam in about
the middle of the screen - the bottom half would be normal, but, after
a few seconds of flickering like this, the screen would "pop out",
meaning, it would fill the display area and all was fine.

Then it started taking more than a few seoonds, but, it would
eventually pop out and be just fine.

Now it is stuck in the broken state - the whole top half of the
picture is squeezed into a bright horizontal beam running from left to
right in the center of the screen - the bottom half is normal. It is
like the electronic beam will not sweep the top half of the display
area, but just sweeps across a small area in the center of the screen
- and then, it goes ahead and finishes out the sweep of the bottom
half normally.

Why do I want to fix it? It is still the very best picture of ANY of
the monitors I have looked at (including LCD's, plasmas, and DLP's).
Combined with the ATI TVWonder card, it makes the very best viewing of
standard definition TV I have ever seen anywhere. The colors and
shades (especially the dark grays and near blacks) are superior to
anything else I have seen, and I am willing to pursue fixing it,
provided it isn't going to mean a whole new picture tube or anything
MAJOR like that.

What does tha failure of the top half of the electronic beam sweep
usually mean? Or are there many possible causes for this malfunction?

Help. Anyone knowledgealbe about this?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:

You've got a cracked solder joint on the deflection board, usually right
around the vertical output IC. It's a pretty quick and easy repair, the
hardest part by far is getting the thing apart and then putting it all back
together when you finish.

May even be the vertical output IC itself. They get pretty hot and
manufacurers tend to save on cooling area. Assembling IC and
heat sink requires some care, too. I'd check the electrolytics
around this IC as well.

Regards,
H.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I am having very bad luck. The place I bought it at (Fry's, in
Dallas) suggests that it is not feasable to repair the unit - they
want money up front and advise me that it might take several months
before they could return it (they have to ship it to California). NEC/
Mitsubishi is having a hard time finding out what the part, or parts,
cost (the deflector board and/or the vertical output IC). They say
the parts list has no entries that sound like either the "deflectyor
board" or the "veritcal output IC", and, they can't give out prices
even if they could identify the part.

They say they have only two places where it could be repaired
(Cincinnati and California), and that I have to put a bunch of money
up front and pay shipping both ways - no guarantees. I have called
couple of shops here locally in the DFW area but they do not return my
calls.

This is very sad. The picture tube on this outstanding 21" CRT is
still in tip-top shape, and it looks better than anything else I see
these days.

If anyone knows someone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that knows how
to go inside this unit and maybe even fix it, please respond. The
folks at NEC also said that they WILL NOT sell any parts to anybody
except those two places in Ohio and California.

It looks like I might be out of luck. What a bumer - only 4 years and
this really great monitor becomes a boat anchor. This is making me
sick. I am not good with a soldering iron (all my previous projects
got bungled up good), and I really don't trust myself to take the
cover off.

Sad tale.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"surface9" wrote in message
oups.com...

If anyone knows someone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that knows how
to go inside this unit and maybe even fix it, please respond. The
folks at NEC also said that they WILL NOT sell any parts to anybody
except those two places in Ohio and California.

Ask some of the local TV shops. Some guys are smart enough to fault find
with no manual.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"surface9" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Frys? Don't even bother with them. Isn't there an independant TV repair shop
somewhere in your area? I know they're dropping like flies, but there must
be one somewhere. Ok I just did a search on yellowpages.com and it came back
with 58 places in the Dallas area, several of those have to be capable of
working on CRT displays.

The vertical output IC normally costs about 8 bucks and they're usually
generic parts available anywhere that sells this stuff, usually just
touching up the solder is all it requires, the repair should be under $100
to have professionally done.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

"surface9" wrote in message
oups.com...

If anyone knows someone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that knows how
to go inside this unit and maybe even fix it, please respond. The
folks at NEC also said that they WILL NOT sell any parts to anybody
except those two places in Ohio and California.

Ask some of the local TV shops. Some guys are smart enough to fault find
with no manual.

Some guys? Any tech worth going to will do the majority of repairs without
wasting the time looking for the manual. The more of these you work on, the
more they all start to look the same inside.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 17 May, 00:22, surface9 wrote:
[...]

It seems you've lost your way on this. Ignore the above shops and go
to someone competent & willing to repair it. If youve only spoken to 2
shops, try the rest. As has been said, its probably a simple job.

More likely to get a good response in person than by phone, and I
would certainly suggest avoiding a lot of bs, just describe the fault,
offer them x if they can repair it, nothing if they dont, and leave it
at that.

Re parts, policies vary, but some shops use parts from scrap
equipment, so supposedly unobtainable parts are often no such thing.

This sort of silliness is precisely why I recommend avoiding
authorised service agents outside of guarantee periods.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

surface9 wrote:

: It looks like I might be out of luck. What a bumer - only 4 years and
: this really great monitor becomes a boat anchor. This is making me
: sick. I am not good with a soldering iron (all my previous projects
: got bungled up good), and I really don't trust myself to take the
: cover off.

: Sad tale.

Not really, monitors like that are just obsolete.

I really don't understand why you want to bother getting it fixed, not at
all. It took like 15 seconds on dallas.craigslist.org to find this...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sys/314989246.html

and there are other 21's on there for $25 also.

Don't get me wrong, I still use a Mits 21 (Diamond Plus 200) myself but if
this thing ****s out, I'm not even going to bother taking a screwdriver to
it.

People are dumping those things all over, for $100 which is probably what
shipping and the estimate will run you, you can pick up 4 or 5 of them and
weed out the best.

-bruce

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Many of the manufactures are no longer supporting any type of CRT
monitors. Keeping inventory of the parts, and spending the time to
troubleshoot and service them is expensive by today's standards. Some
of these service centers no longer have any way to properly support
CRT type monitors and TV sets.

Considering what you have to go through, I would suggest taking the
monitor to a local TV service shop. They will most likely be able to
service it if the problem is streight forward, and if the parts
required are generic types.

As for myself, my preference is a good LCD monitor. They do not give
off any kind of radiation, have no pin distortions, and have no
convergence or purity errors. They take a lot less space in the
working area, consume much less electricity, and have zero flicker
which causes eyesore.

Jerry G.
======

On May 16, 7:22 pm, surface9 wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Well these posts are encouraging. I'm going to look around here
locally for someone that knows about TV's and see where I can take it
and maybe get the soldering done. That would be ideal. NEC finally
got back with me and suggested, just as James Sweet said above, that
it would probably be a short soldering job. I am now thinking that I
will get this fixed sooner or later.

But, I had never heard of craigslist. That is a wonderful website. I
am stunned to find good 21" crt monitors there for $25 - what a world
we live in - these things were around $600 a mere 4 years ago - wow!.
They still look better than LCD's for subtle contrasts. I also have a
21.3" Viewsonic LCD which is a great monitor, but, standard TV and
photographs look noticebly better on the CRT.

Thanks to all.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

surface9 wrote:

Well these posts are encouraging. I'm going to look around here
locally for someone that knows about TV's and see where I can take it
and maybe get the soldering done. That would be ideal. NEC finally
got back with me and suggested, just as James Sweet said above, that
it would probably be a short soldering job. I am now thinking that I
will get this fixed sooner or later.

But, I had never heard of craigslist. That is a wonderful website. I
am stunned to find good 21" crt monitors there for $25 - what a world
we live in - these things were around $600 a mere 4 years ago - wow!.
They still look better than LCD's for subtle contrasts. I also have a
21.3" Viewsonic LCD which is a great monitor, but, standard TV and
photographs look noticebly better on the CRT.

Thanks to all.

Is there a local freecycle group? http://www.freecycle.org/ People
give away working monitors around here. I've given away several,
myself.
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

CRT Vince Electronics Repair 0 June 20th 06 03:55 AM
Fire Up CRT TV/DVD Without CRT Connected? JR North Electronics Repair 3 May 16th 06 02:37 AM
Can one "overclock" a CRT monitor's video input bandwidth? Need slightly higher refresh rate than my existng CRT allows... Ken Moiarty Electronics Repair 32 April 26th 06 06:58 AM
Anyone still do a CRT repair - and is screen damaged by heat? James Harris Electronics 5 February 21st 06 05:59 AM
Sony 60" CRT projection - needs repair Jean-Pierre Dube Electronics Repair 4 October 26th 04 10:44 AM