Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jerry G. Jerry G. is offline

Default CRT Repair

Many of the manufactures are no longer supporting any type of CRT
monitors. Keeping inventory of the parts, and spending the time to
troubleshoot and service them is expensive by today's standards. Some
of these service centers no longer have any way to properly support
CRT type monitors and TV sets.

Considering what you have to go through, I would suggest taking the
monitor to a local TV service shop. They will most likely be able to
service it if the problem is streight forward, and if the parts
required are generic types.

As for myself, my preference is a good LCD monitor. They do not give
off any kind of radiation, have no pin distortions, and have no
convergence or purity errors. They take a lot less space in the
working area, consume much less electricity, and have zero flicker
which causes eyesore.

Jerry G.
======

On May 16, 7:22 pm, surface9 wrote:
I am having very bad luck. The place I bought it at (Fry's, in
Dallas) suggests that it is not feasable to repair the unit - they
want money up front and advise me that it might take several months
before they could return it (they have to ship it to California). NEC/
Mitsubishi is having a hard time finding out what the part, or parts,
cost (the deflector board and/or the vertical output IC). They say
the parts list has no entries that sound like either the "deflectyor
board" or the "veritcal output IC", and, they can't give out prices
even if they could identify the part.

They say they have only two places where it could be repaired
(Cincinnati and California), and that I have to put a bunch of money
up front and pay shipping both ways - no guarantees. I have called
couple of shops here locally in the DFW area but they do not return my
calls.

This is very sad. The picture tube on this outstanding 21" CRT is
still in tip-top shape, and it looks better than anything else I see

these days.

If anyone knows someone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that knows how
to go inside this unit and maybe even fix it, please respond. The
folks at NEC also said that they WILL NOT sell any parts to anybody
except those two places in Ohio and California.

It looks like I might be out of luck. What a bumer - only 4 years and
this really great monitor becomes a boat anchor. This is making me
sick. I am not good with a soldering iron (all my previous projects
got bungled up good), and I really don't trust myself to take the
cover off.

Sad tale.