Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics
James Harris

Default Anyone still do a CRT repair - and is screen damaged by heat?

My 21" monitor has, sadly, developed a fault in the line output stage
and you wouldn't believe (or perhaps you would!) how difficult it is to
find someone to repair it.

1) Can you recommend someone in the UK who I could trust to do a
competent job?

2) I left it with a TV repair company locally who were unable to repair
it but when I picked it up the center of the screen had been left next
to a radiator and was very hot. Would that do any damage to the screen?

I have written to the maker (CTX) but not had a reply yet. Suggestions
would be appreciated.

--
TIA,
James

Posted to alt.electronics
Art

Ambient heat source should not have had any effect. I presume it was not
next to a blast furnace.
There has to be a competent group of professional technicians, on your
side of the pond, that can repair the CTX monitor for a quid or so, Eh.
H'ave to be a bit diligent in finding those which specialize in monitor
repairs. Suggest calling some of the Computer User Groups in your area,
I'm confident they will assist directing you to a qualified facility.
Cheers Gov.

"James Harris" no.email.please wrote in message
My 21" monitor has, sadly, developed a fault in the line output stage and
you wouldn't believe (or perhaps you would!) how difficult it is to find
someone to repair it.

1) Can you recommend someone in the UK who I could trust to do a competent
job?

2) I left it with a TV repair company locally who were unable to repair it
but when I picked it up the center of the screen had been left next to a
radiator and was very hot. Would that do any damage to the screen?

I have written to the maker (CTX) but not had a reply yet. Suggestions
would be appreciated.

--
TIA,
James

Posted to alt.electronics
James Harris

"Art" wrote in message
Ambient heat source should not have had any effect. I presume it was
not next to a blast furnace.

No, just a full-blast radiator.

Posted to alt.electronics
JoeSP

"James Harris" no.email.please wrote in message
My 21" monitor has, sadly, developed a fault in the line output stage and
you wouldn't believe (or perhaps you would!) how difficult it is to find
someone to repair it.

The only thing I am having trouble believing is why someone would want to
repair a CRT, when new and used ones are so cheap and abundant. Not to
mention the fact that the difference between a CRT and an LCD monitor is
probably less than the repair bill.

Posted to alt.electronics
James Harris

"JoeSP" wrote in message

"James Harris" no.email.please wrote in message
My 21" monitor has, sadly, developed a fault in the line output stage
and you wouldn't believe (or perhaps you would!) how difficult it is
to find someone to repair it.

The only thing I am having trouble believing is why someone would want
to repair a CRT, when new and used ones are so cheap and abundant.
Not to mention the fact that the difference between a CRT and an LCD
monitor is probably less than the repair bill.

Well, 1600x1200 LCDs are still expensive. Also, CRTs have no dead pixels

Posted to alt.electronics
JoeSP

"JoeSP" wrote in message

"James Harris" no.email.please wrote in message
My 21" monitor has, sadly, developed a fault in the line output stage
and you wouldn't believe (or perhaps you would!) how difficult it is to
find someone to repair it.

The only thing I am having trouble believing is why someone would want to
repair a CRT, when new and used ones are so cheap and abundant. Not to
mention the fact that the difference between a CRT and an LCD monitor is
probably less than the repair bill.

Well, 1600x1200 LCDs are still expensive. Also, CRTs have no dead pixels

My Samsung LCD 1600 x 1200 from Costco wasn't much more than a CRT
equivalent. It was cheap because it had 3 dead pixels in the upper right
corner. Funny thing happened after a year, the pixels came back to life and
haven't failed since.

Spares or repair ? T i m UK diy 13 December 11th 05 07:32 PM
JBL PSW-D110 SUBWOOFER PROBLEM AND REPAIR PARTS I HAVE AVAILABLE Angelo Electronics Repair 7 May 27th 05 02:56 AM
POOL & LANAI SCREEN HERE! (RE-SCREENING POOL CAGE) The Poolscreen Guy Home Repair 2 October 13th 04 02:56 AM
ATTN NOTEBOOK Repair WIZARDS----------Anyone know how a Notebook Screen backlight circuit works? P-Nuts Electronics Repair 1 January 24th 04 12:34 PM
How to repair an UFO? Adam Ben Nalois Electronics Repair 27 January 18th 04 03:37 AM