Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What tubes to use

I want to build a tube power amp for my stereo. Tubes have always had
the best sound. Actually two amps, one for each channel. First off,
what tubes can I use in Push-Pull Parallel to achieve at least 1000
watts RMS per channel. I want real power. Not peak to peak, but true
RMS. Secondly, where can I obtain the output transformers, or will I
have to have them custom made, and where?

When I was much younger I had two amps that used 4 6L6 tubes in
push-pull parallel and I was able to achieve about 120 watts per
channel. The sound was great, but 6L6 tubes have their limits on
power, and tend to be noisy (at least the old ones did, as I had to
shock mount the amps to prevent feedback thru the tubes.

Going with 1000 watts, I will need much more control and tubes that
can handle the abuse. In reality, I'd like to go for 2500 or even
5000 watts per channel, but I doubt any tubes can handle that.

On the other hand. the thought arises to build 4 of these amps, use
two for the low end, and the other two for the horns. I assume that
for the horns I could cut back some on the power output, but need
everything I can get for the bass end, since I intend to build a wall
of 16 inch woofers.

Thanks for all help.

Mark

Lamp Tubes Kirk Woodturning 3 June 20th 05 03:15 PM
What to do with old fluorescent tubes Aidan UK diy 26 May 26th 05 02:17 PM
Fluorescent tubes. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 3 March 22nd 05 01:43 PM
Fluorescent tubes Simon Elliott UK diy 17 March 15th 05 09:10 PM
Scaffold tubes Simon UK diy 7 July 8th 03 10:57 PM