Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] electricitym@yahoo.com is offline

Default What tubes to use

On May 11, 8:04 pm, wrote:
I want to build a tube power amp for my stereo. Tubes have always had
the best sound. Actually two amps, one for each channel. First off,
what tubes can I use in Push-Pull Parallel to achieve at least 1000
watts RMS per channel. I want real power. Not peak to peak, but true
RMS. Secondly, where can I obtain the output transformers, or will I
have to have them custom made, and where?

When I was much younger I had two amps that used 4 6L6 tubes in
push-pull parallel and I was able to achieve about 120 watts per
channel. The sound was great, but 6L6 tubes have their limits on
power, and tend to be noisy (at least the old ones did, as I had to
shock mount the amps to prevent feedback thru the tubes.

Going with 1000 watts, I will need much more control and tubes that
can handle the abuse. In reality, I'd like to go for 2500 or even
5000 watts per channel, but I doubt any tubes can handle that.

On the other hand. the thought arises to build 4 of these amps, use
two for the low end, and the other two for the horns. I assume that
for the horns I could cut back some on the power output, but need
everything I can get for the bass end, since I intend to build a wall
of 16 inch woofers.

Thanks for all help.

Mark

For that kind of power you will find it difficult, if not impossible,
to achieve your goals. All kinds of things will be unobtainable at
the extreem high power you are talking about..
**output transformers.... for sure ... if you could get them they
would weigh several hundred pounds each.

**power transformers and power supply ... several amps at 800 - 1200
volts or more ! ! expensive and hard to do.

**output tubes... even with push pull- parrallel ( 4 tubes) you will
have trouble getting anything close to 1000 watts with audiophile
tubes. You would probably have to use really expensive RF power
tubes which in all likely-hood will not be power pentodes and will
require serious drive power which at your desired power level would be
a problem for even "normal" high power audio output tubes.... then,
where would you get the high power interstage transformers.

All of these things will be most likely an exercise in futility.
My advice to you is to stick with solid state for you desired very
high power requirements.... there are several brands of readymade
1000 watt plus (many units can be bridged to increase power)
professional solid state amplifiers available that would be hard to
beat the price even if you built it yourself.
electricitym