Junior Member

Cool Any key sequence to Initiate a TDS3014B? to factory settings?

Hi

I have a start-up problem with my Tek Oscilloscope TDS3014B which doesn't run ok. It start backlight and actually the start screen is Ok. It pulses all front leds for a little bit and then the 1KHz/5V square wave becomes available. Start screen remains without change and there is no any diagnostic message. Troubleshooting chart doesn't cover this situation since it only is useful when diagnostic message apply. It seems to be a software problem rather than electronic problem.
Service from Tek is expensive. I heard about a key sequence to initiate to factory settings. I mean something like "Press Utility button while powering on the instrument..."

I will aprreciate if somebody have an idea to solve this...

Regards

John_H

Last edited by John_H : May 9th 07 at 04:45 PM
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Any key sequence to Initiate a TDS3014B? to factory settings?

On May 8, 9:31 pm, John_H wrote:
Hi

I have a start-up problem with my TDS3014B. It start backlight and

--
John_H

You might get a reply if you started out by saying what it is that you
want to discuss, such as a tv or monitor or test equipment. Just
seeing tds--- doesn't give me a clue what it is you want.

H.R.(Bob) Hofmann

Junior Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hr(bob) [email

You might get a reply if you started out by saying what it is that you
want to discuss, such as a tv or monitor or test equipment. Just
seeing tds--- doesn't give me a clue what it is you want.

H.R.(Bob) Hofmann
Hi Bob

You're right about my title was too short. Perhaps, I was a little bit frustrated since all night searching for help so I probably did miss what I was trying to say.

In fact TDS doesn't say too much but I was trying to discuss about Tektronix Oscilloscope. May you're familiar with that instrument since your appointment was so precise.

Anyway. I apologize and thank you for your help. I now have edited my first topic description.

Regards

John_H
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Just seeing tds--- doesn't give me a clue what it is you want.

Well, when I saw TDS3014 I immediately knew it was a Tek scope. Don't most
people? (c;
--
Al, the usual

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 09 May 2007 17:06:49 GMT, Usual Suspect
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Just seeing tds--- doesn't give me a clue what it is you want.

Well, when I saw TDS3014 I immediately knew it was a Tek scope. Don't most
people? (c;

I thought it might have been a time domain spectrometer.

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 9 Mai, 17:59, John_H wrote:
hr(bob) [email Wrote:

[/email]]On May 8, 9:31 pm, John_H
wrote:
You might get a reply if you started out by saying what it is that you
want to discuss, such as a tv or monitor or test equipment. Just
seeing tds--- doesn't give me a clue what it is you want.

H.R.(Bob) Hofmann

Hi Bob

You're right about my title was too short. Perhaps, I was a little bit
frustrated since all night searching for help so I probably did miss
what I was trying to say.

In fact TDS doesn't say too much but I was trying to discuss about
Tektronix Oscilloscope. May you're familiar with that instrument since
your appointment was so precise.

Anyway. I apologize and thank you for your help. I now have edited my
first topic description.

Regards

John_H

--
John_H

Go for www.tektronix.com, left click "manuals", go for your Type
(3014b), check the offered selection.

I think you mean the document: "TDS3000 and TDS3000B Instructions
Memory Erasure and Nonvolatile Memory Parts List P/N 071172200".

It resets the flash memory, but leaves the factory constants for
calibration, etc intact.

BTW: You may need to set up a download account, it is free of charge,
so simply go for it.

The service manual is also around there, but do not expect circuit
drawings within: TDS 3xxx is serviced on module exchange basis only.

hth,
Andreas

Junior Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Tekman
On 9 Mai, 17:59, John_H wrote:

Go for www.tektronix.com, left click "manuals", go for your Type
(3014b), check the offered selection.

I think you mean the document: "TDS3000 and TDS3000B Instructions
Memory Erasure and Nonvolatile Memory Parts List P/N 071172200".

It resets the flash memory, but leaves the factory constants for
calibration, etc intact.

BTW: You may need to set up a download account, it is free of charge,
so simply go for it.

The service manual is also around there, but do not expect circuit
drawings within: TDS 3xxx is serviced on module exchange basis only.

hth,
Andreas

Hi Andreas

Thanks for your time to check this site.

I tried to use this tek sequence before, but actually the oscilloscope has locked up.
Tek people says there is no a "hold down key while..." sequence. They say this is just for microproccessor based oscilloscopes. I'm not sure which kind is this, but I would think there should be any escape sequence as:

"My 11402 has locked up. I have tried powering it off, then on again with no success. How can I resolve problem? "
at:
http://www2.tek.com/cmswpt/faqdetail...e+problem%3F++

I cannot access any screen menu or response but power up screen. About 7 seconds after power on, front leds flashes once and then square wave output for probe compensation becomes available but nothing else happens. Screen remains as the initial power up screen with the toon about "Digital Phosphor Oscilloscope... tektronix" and nothing else.

I have tried uploading the firmware thru floppie disk but disk drive doesn't work at all.

I tried to use the troubleshooting chart but it doesn't seem to be enough for this case. In fact when troubleshooting procedure says:

Q: "Does the Scope display the power-up screen?"
A: Yes/
Q: "Does the Scope pass all the Diagnostics?"
A: No, but it doesn't display any result message. It freezes at the Power-up Screen.
Continue with: "Perform Module Insulation Troubleshooting procedure"
...and here is why I'm saying it is not enough....
Next: "Module Insulation Troubleshooting procedure"
Note:"This procedure assumes that the oscilloscope displays power-up diagnostic messages"
Q: "Does the power-up screen report any errors?"
A: No, but it doesn't display any result message
Result: "Oscilloscope is operating Ok" Which is false.

Are you familiar with this instrument?...
I don't know other people familiar with...
I never had similar trouble before with any fluke firmwerable or Tek TDS754D scopes.

Regards

John_H

Construction sequence Jim Home Repair 3 March 23rd 07 10:06 AM
Help with assembly sequence? patrick conroy Woodworking 2 January 31st 05 10:28 PM
sequence of tripping CB Sam UK diy 13 March 24th 04 09:24 AM
TV does not remember channel settings, image settings, and sound settings after having been shut down Michiel Tas Electronics Repair 2 March 13th 04 02:33 AM
imac monitor adjustment: how to change factory settings? Andy Cuffe Electronics Repair 0 December 11th 03 05:10 PM