patrick conroy

Default Help with assembly sequence?

Help!

I could use some advice on the best sequence of assembly steps please. The
picture below shows the top to a hall table. The top is a simple frame made
up of 1 1/4" thick, 2" wide pieces of mahogany. It's not solid - there's
going to be an veneer inlay in the middle.

[ Pix only on ABPW ]

The joints are 45* miters (mitres) and I'll probably use biscuits to
reinforce them. I don't want to use splines for aesthetic purposes.

I plan to put some strong bevels on the top's frame. I'm wondering how most
of you would sequence the steps:
- cut the bevels and then glue up the frame?
- glue up the frame and then cut the bevels?

I'm tempted to cut the bevels first and then glue up
+ I won't have to wrestle the big frame through the table saw to cut the
bevels
+ I won't have to worry about exposing a biscuit while cutting the bevel
- But I won't have nice, large 90* corners to grab with band clamps and
clamps
- There's probably a good chance the bevels on the miters will be off a
smidge

So - if I want to make the miters nice and snug, seems to me I'd be better
served by gluing it up first. The clamps will have nice, big, non-beveled
edges to grab onto. But then I'd have to wrestle the pretty good sized
frame through the table saw. But I could fashion a nice large and high
fence.

Which one would you guys/gals do?
Bevels and then assemble?
Or assemble and then bevels?

Knothead

Do the cuts first then clamp, make opposing angle shims when you clamp it so
you still get a good 90 at the clamp

Gordon W

patrick conroy wrote in message
Help!

I could use some advice on the best sequence of assembly steps please.

The
picture below shows the top to a hall table. The top is a simple frame

made
up of 1 1/4" thick, 2" wide pieces of mahogany. It's not solid - there's
going to be an veneer inlay in the middle.

[ Pix only on ABPW ]

The joints are 45* miters (mitres) and I'll probably use biscuits to
reinforce them. I don't want to use splines for aesthetic purposes.

I plan to put some strong bevels on the top's frame. I'm wondering how

most
of you would sequence the steps:
- cut the bevels and then glue up the frame?

I'm doing a similar thing at the moment. I'll post a pic on ABPW.
I cut the bevels and miters and rounded the edge.
I didn't reinforce the miters.
The frame is doweled to the table top.
The frame was stained to look like Teak and glued to the top.
I used thin cord/rope and cardboard padding under the rope instead of
clamps.
HTH.
Gordon