Default Question regarding huge linear slide assembly - possibly for sale?

I have a huge linear slide assembly that I recovered several years ago
from some industrial equipment. Here's a link to a pictu

http://www.easypckits.com/images/MHW/linearslide.jpg

I had plans to make a wood lathe using this as the bed and fabricate
my own headstock. I was going to use the travelling platform as a
toolrest that I could position precisely... possibly for spiral
turnings and similar. Unfortunately, a new job and the time required
means that I simply do not get much time to spend out in my shop
anymore. I am under a threat from the missus to clean some stuff out,
and this seems like a good place to start.

In any case, this is a huge assembly for a linear slide. Here are
some specs:

Rail length, 41"
Rail diameter, 1.5" hard chromed
Lead screw, 1" x 4 turns
Platform, 9" wide by 7" deep
Rail distance, 5.5" center-to-center
Base, 8" inverted channel iron
Overall base length, 56"
Coating, industrial green enamel, no rust

In fact, I placed a drill in the picture linked above simply to give a
sense of scale on just how large this assembly is.

The question I have is this - is it worth selling on EBay? The
strange part is, it is so heavy and large that I can see no other way
to ship it other than on a pallet or in a crate. It certainly won't
go via UPS unless I dissasemble it, and I am hesitant to do so unless
absolutely necessary.

The rec.crafts.metalworking community has been good to me in the past
with advice and helpful suggestions. Will this sell at a price that
would be worthwhile? Will the shipping hassle be too much trouble?
If so, what are some alternative sugegestions for using this beast?

I appreciate any response and suggestions that you guys might be able
to give.

Dave

lane

wrote in message
om...
[...]

Just a thought; you might give us an idea of your location and how much you
are looking to sell it for. That way someone here might have a shot at it.
Lane

Kevin Doney

Most people on ebay would want to know if the screw is ball or lead, the
actual travel of the truck(34?), whether you have a motor mount or handle
for the end and finally an estimate of the weight. I do see these selling
all of the time under "CNC" (don't forget to put that in the title).
Where are you and can you estimate the weight?

om...

"lane" lane_nospam@copperaccents_dot_com wrote in message ...

Just a thought; you might give us an idea of your location and how much you
are looking to sell it for. That way someone here might have a shot at it.
Lane

I am located in Athens, Alabama (5 minutes from I-65 and US Hwy 72 if
that makes a difference). I can probably find a shipper in Huntsville
or Decatur, but I have never shipped anything that couldn't go UPS - I
am ignorant of the hassle factor.

Value is a hard thing. I just KNOW that some company paid several
thousand for this thing, it's simply to massive and linear slides too
hard to make. However, I honestly got it very cheaply several years
ago, so I wouldn't expect more than pennies on the dollar.

Firstly, I need it to be gone. I need the space it is taking up. I
actually had some 8" square tube steel (1/4" wall) cut to use as the
tailstock and headstock. They are still stacked where I left them
five years ago - right beside the 1" flanged pillow block bearings I
was going to use for the drive shaft.

Secondly, I have no way of determining true value. Maybe my
researching skills need help, but I have not been able to find
ANYTHING of similar configuration in any industrial catalog or online.
I can't find any manufacturer's mark or identification anywhere on
the ball-bearing return housing, nor have I seen a similar unit.
Maybe someone could give me a suggestion on what this might have cost
or be worth.

Thirdly, I'd rather give it away for a song than have it set in my
shop unused for several more years. I hate wasted resources. If
someone could legitimately use this item, I'd be very inclined to be
very generous. I trade under the name "insulglass" on eBay, I will
ALWAYS give more value than auction winners expect, and I see no
reason to treat this any differently.

Fourthly, if anyone has any interest, either post back or drop me an
email. I can take some more detailed pictures if anyone wants any.
Oh what the heck, I took some and uploaded them quickly... a few
closeups and different views. The last picture kinda shows where I
was headed with the tube steel.

http://www.easypckits.com/images/MHW/linearslide.jpg
http://www.easypckits.com/images/MHW/linearslide1.jpg
http://www.easypckits.com/images/MHW/linearslide2.jpg
http://www.easypckits.com/images/MHW/linearslide3.jpg
http://www.easypckits.com/images/MHW/linearslide4.jpg
http://www.easypckits.com/images/MHW/linearslide5.jpg
http://www.easypckits.com/images/MHW/linearslide6.jpg

Lane, thanks very much for your response.I'm taking baby steps on this
item, I appreciate you pointing me in a logical direction.

Dave

"Kevin Doney" wrote in message hlink.net...

Most people on ebay would want to know if the screw is ball or lead,

A closeup pic has been posted in a previous reply. Rounded grooves,
not an Acme type thread at all. So, it's a ball screw type I think.
The positioning is a little stiff...it works fine but I never really
lubed it due to sawdust in my shop, etc. The wipers on the lead screw
and rails still appear to be in excellent shape.

the actual travel of the truck(34?)

Yes, 34" give or take a quarter inch or so.

whether you have a motor mount or handle for the end

I suspect that it had a handle at one time. I see no reason that a
positioning motor couldn't be easily mounted somehow. The shaft
extends about 10" from the end of the lead screw, and is about 3/8" in
diameter at the very end.

and finally an estimate of the weight. I do see these selling
all of the time under "CNC" (don't forget to put that in the title).
Where are you and can you estimate the weight?

Location in previous reply. I would estimate that the total assembly
weighs in the 150-175 range. I'm not a small guy at all, and it's all
I can do to pick it up and handle it, and I'm straining at that.

Once again, great questions - thanks for the reply.

Dave