Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default hp slider switch replacement or recyclers

All,

One of the 3 contact slider switches on an HP 8505A is broken. Does
anyone know of a 'junk yard' or recyclers for old parts?

Thanks - Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

dansawyeror wrote:

All,

One of the 3 contact slider switches on an HP 8505A is broken. Does
anyone know of a 'junk yard' or recyclers for old parts?

What is a HP 8505A?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

dansawyeror wrote:

I is a vector network analyzer circa 1982. The switch is a slider. I am
not sure what else they may have been used. I would bet they were common
in that era.

Do you have the service manual? A part number would make it easier
to find.

http://www.agilent.com only has the operation manual in PDF format.
It shows it as 1978, which would make the design 30 years old. Can you
post a picture of the damaged part on
news:alt.binaries.schematics.electronic by attaching it as a GIF, JPEG,
or other common image file?

http://bama.sbc.edu/hp.htm doesn't have the manual, either.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

dansawyeror hath wroth:

One of the 3 contact slider switches on an HP 8505A is broken. Does
anyone know of a 'junk yard' or recyclers for old parts?

Which switch? I see several on the front panel:
http://www.teknetelectronics.com/Search.asp?p_ID=1418&pDo=DETAIL

As I vaguely recall, there is no switch assembly. The contacts are
gold plated traces and large pads on the circuit board. The plastic
slider has one or more spring loaded contacts inside. The usual
problem is that the plastic slider become brittle with age and just
crumbles. Usually the tapered handle that goes through the front
panel is what breaks off. Is this what happened to yours? If so,
think about taking it apart and just attaching a different handle. The
rest of the switch assembly is just fine.

For hp test equipment parts and pieces, see:
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/hpparts.html
I couldn't find any switches.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks for the reply. No the actual contact sliders came loose from the
plastic slider. The copper/gold plating is fine. Upon inspection two of
the slider assemblies are broken.

- Dan

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
dansawyeror hath wroth:

One of the 3 contact slider switches on an HP 8505A is broken. Does
anyone know of a 'junk yard' or recyclers for old parts?

Which switch? I see several on the front panel:
http://www.teknetelectronics.com/Search.asp?p_ID=1418&pDo=DETAIL

As I vaguely recall, there is no switch assembly. The contacts are
gold plated traces and large pads on the circuit board. The plastic
slider has one or more spring loaded contacts inside. The usual
problem is that the plastic slider become brittle with age and just
crumbles. Usually the tapered handle that goes through the front
panel is what breaks off. Is this what happened to yours? If so,
think about taking it apart and just attaching a different handle. The
rest of the switch assembly is just fine.

For hp test equipment parts and pieces, see:
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/hpparts.html
I couldn't find any switches.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

dansawyeror wrote:
Thanks for the reply. No the actual contact sliders came loose from the
plastic slider. The copper/gold plating is fine. Upon inspection two of
the slider assemblies are broken.

- Dan

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

dansawyeror hath wroth:

One of the 3 contact slider switches on an HP 8505A is broken. Does
anyone know of a 'junk yard' or recyclers for old parts?

Which switch? I see several on the front panel:
http://www.teknetelectronics.com/Search.asp?p_ID=1418&pDo=DETAIL

As I vaguely recall, there is no switch assembly. The contacts are
gold plated traces and large pads on the circuit board. The plastic
slider has one or more spring loaded contacts inside. The usual
problem is that the plastic slider become brittle with age and just
crumbles. Usually the tapered handle that goes through the front
panel is what breaks off. Is this what happened to yours? If so,
think about taking it apart and just attaching a different handle. The
rest of the switch assembly is just fine.

For hp test equipment parts and pieces, see:
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/hpparts.html
I couldn't find any switches.

This is a standard problem with lots of HP equipment of that vintage.
What we have done is to tap 0-80 holes into the plastic and then
reattach the slider to the plastic. I have probably done this fifty
times and I have never had one break a second time. The design was
not good and the plastic nipple would break off. Any older parts you
get would end up with the same problem more than likely.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Doug,

Thanks, I will look into that. Are there 0-80 screws?

- Dan

doug wrote:
dansawyeror wrote:
Thanks for the reply. No the actual contact sliders came loose from
the plastic slider. The copper/gold plating is fine. Upon inspection
two of the slider assemblies are broken.

- Dan

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

dansawyeror hath wroth:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

doug wrote:
dansawyeror wrote:
Thanks for the reply. No the actual contact sliders came loose from
the plastic slider. The copper/gold plating is fine. Upon inspection
two of the slider assemblies are broken.

- Dan

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

dansawyeror hath wroth:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

There are lots of 0-80 screws, pan head, flat heat, fillister
head, etc. They just do not come from sears. They will be
stocked at industrial suppliers.
You can get them at the same time you buy the tap and tap drill.
Good luck. It really is easy.

doug wrote:

dansawyeror wrote:

Thanks for the reply. No the actual contact sliders came loose from
the plastic slider. The copper/gold plating is fine. Upon inspection
two of the slider assemblies are broken.

- Dan

dansawyeror hath wroth: