Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

Default Replacement lights/pull switch ..Re Earth.

Two replacement ceiling lights I just bought are double insulated so
no earth connection is required .The pull switch has just two
connections L2 and C. The lighting circuit is done on a junction box
setup...
Is it OK just to snip the earth on the supply cable before the first
connection is made .??

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:
Two replacement ceiling lights I just bought are double insulated so
no earth connection is required .The pull switch has just two
connections L2 and C. The lighting circuit is done on a junction box
setup...
Is it OK just to snip the earth on the supply cable before the first
connection is made .??

Stuart

Depends which one you do first. If you mean at the jbox, its not regs
complaint, and is poor practice.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 00:43:56 +0000 someone who may be Stuart
wrote this:-

Two replacement ceiling lights I just bought are double insulated so
no earth connection is required .The pull switch has just two
connections L2 and C. The lighting circuit is done on a junction box
setup...
Is it OK just to snip the earth on the supply cable before the first
connection is made .??

So, if you were to later replace them with some Class 1 lights you
would then be trying to get back the connection you snipped off. Not
a good idea.

Just terminate the earth connection in a terminal block at the
fittings. There should be one in the box which the new fitting will
presumably be fitted to.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

wrote this:-

Two replacement ceiling lights I just bought are double insulated so
no earth connection is required .The pull switch has just two
connections L2 and C. The lighting circuit is done on a junction box
setup...
Is it OK just to snip the earth on the supply cable before the first
connection is made .??

So, if you were to later replace them with some Class 1 lights you
would then be trying to get back the connection you snipped off. Not
a good idea.

Just terminate the earth connection in a terminal block at the
fittings. There should be one in the box which the new fitting will
presumably be fitted to.

Yeah .What you say about needing the earth at a later date occurred to
me after I posted ....I'll connect the earth at either the JB or a
Choc Box and terminate it there .

thx all

Stuart