Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Yamaha CR-820 Repair: No Output, Tuner shows signal received.

I have an old Yamaha CR-820 receiver/amplifier that no longer has any sound
output. The meters still show signal strenght when a tune across the AM/FM
bands but I get no audio from the speakers or the phone jack. No hiss. hum,
carckle or pops. JUst solid dead silence.

It isn't worth sending out for a shop base repair.

Has anyone has a similar problem? Does anyone know where I can obtain a
schematic or service manual?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
I have an old Yamaha CR-820 receiver/amplifier that no longer has any
sound output. The meters still show signal strenght when a tune across the
AM/FM bands but I get no audio from the speakers or the phone jack. No
hiss. hum, carckle or pops. JUst solid dead silence.

It isn't worth sending out for a shop base repair.

Has anyone has a similar problem? Does anyone know where I can obtain a
schematic or service manual?

If it's nothing straightforward like a failed ( rather than blown ) fuse,
then it's most likely that the speaker protection circuit is operating
because of a blown output stage. I've a vague recollection that this one
uses an output hybrid ( big black "IC" bolted to the heatsink with type
STK-xxx ) and if so, it is likely that this is your problem. Some of these
can be very expensive, and many of the older ones are now obsolete and hard
to obtain. If it is one of the models that uses discrete output stages, then
you might struggle to get to the bottom of its problems, particularly
without a set of schematics, which again, might be difficult to find for an
item this old.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

The CR-820 uses discrete transistors, but the repair isn't for newbies -
there's fusible resistors inside asbestos tubing which go bad, usually
without any visible clue, and the layout is hardly service-friendly.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. net...
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Thanks for the information all.

Yes there are 4 heat sinked bipolar transsitors. They cost about $10 each.
They get warm to the touch.

I bought a service manual for $15 bucks.

I will see what I can find out. This was a friend's unit.

I wil check out those fusible resistors.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. net...
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

OK, much like the modern Yammy AV amps then ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. net...
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Well, they aren't flat packs - they're TO-3's - 2SB557 and 2SD427 IIRC.

Four-gang (once again, IIRC) tuner, all analog, silver face, wood cabinet,
rectangular metal knobs, and lots of 14 volts lead-lamps which burn out...

mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. net...
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

If there's no sound I think I'd look at the regulated power supply areas
first...

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
et...
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. net...
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

I was being facetious Mark, and referring to the fact that it's layout is
not very service friendly ...I went to a Yammy training seminar recently,
and the national service manager told us that the average turnaround time on
an AV amp for a Yammy dealer, was 22 days, which was really too long, and
could anyone venture a suggestion as to why this was. I told him that the
first 16 days were spent looking at it sitting on the shelf, hoping that it
would go away. The next 3 were spent trying to work out what the internal
diagnostics were trying to tell you. The next 1 was spent trying to strip it
apart and work out which screw was still holding it. The next day was spent
fixing it and putting it back together, and the final day was spent either
rejoicing that you could write a bill out for it, or crying whilst watching
all the magic smoke being released again ...!! Sound about right ? d;~}

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. net...
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Sound
about right ? d;~}

Absolutely. I just got in an RX-Z9, lightning struck. Can't tell you how
much I'm looking forward to that one...

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
Dave wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. net...
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

It appears one of the output devices is shorted. For $5 I may try a
repair. I did not see the fusible resistors. There is also a relay. I
suppose it could be bad.This doesn't seem to hard to get to many of the
components.

It looks like one of the power stages was repaired before as it use RCA
SK---- devices.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. net...
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

.. If I run the amp with both left channel transistors out of the circuit the
right channel works fine.
I replaced a bad outout transistor after checking it. Now when I turn the
receiver on the main power fuse blows.

My guess is that the original failure took out the power transistor before
the fuse blew.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
gy.net...

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
digy.net...

[...]

or you put something in wrong.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
me me is offline

"Dave" wrote in
et:

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. net...
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Your best bet is to replace all output transistors (left and right
chanel), check all the smaller transistors in the area, and check the
emitter resistors for the outputs (usually 2 small value {~.47 ohms or
less} resistors in one 3 pin package with a common leg in the middle)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

et...

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. net...
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Welcome to the world of DC coupled amp repairs ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
t...
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. net...
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Hey Mark

Have you done much with the RX-Z1/DSP-AZ1 ? Have you had any problems with
the 4 pin 5v regs? I've got one in at the moment. Runs absolutely fine for
about 20 mins, then starts cutting out, back to standby. Re-powers with
standby switch, but about 1 second only. Diagnostic memory says PS Prot :
016 K/L and then some stuff referring to the processor rev numbers. Don't
know about you, but I have a hard time ever making any sense out of those
Yammy diag messages. " PS " rather than " DC " says power supply rather than
output offset protect, but what is " 016 " trying to tell me ? I seem to
recall that it refers to a percentage error on a rail, but that there are
two different schemes used for the reference. Today, I went down the path of
pulling out the sub psu board to the point where I could get at it to take
some measurements on all the regs on there. With the meter on peak hold, I
caught the output of IC451 going up to 8.54v just before it tripped out. Now
I reckon that's about 160% up on the correct 5v, so is that what " 016 " is
trying to say ? Interested as to whether you have had anything similar. I've
got a replacement coming tomorrow, so should know within 20 minutes of turn
on, but already, no matter what I charge for the repair, I'm actually going
to be down when you count in all the time to dismantle, trouble shoot, and
reassemble. Without doubt, I'd have to say that Yammies are among the worst
of the current crop of AV amps for service and repair. They are just not
friendly at all in any area - electronic design, mechanical design and user
interface.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. net...
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

I have had that exact problem on one - and the regulator fixed it just
fine - no other damage done.

I've never bothered to try to decipher those DC error levels. They are based
on 5 volts, as I recall.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. net...
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

OK, well that's good to know. The reg didn't actually turn up today, so
hopefully tomorrow. You are right that the error figures do relate to 5v - I
can remember the little Japanese guy that lectured me on it originally,
saying so, but his english was not too good, and I was having enough trouble
just trying to stay with that, let alone the in-depth meaning of what he was
actually saying. I definitely do remember him saying that there were two
different schemes as to how the figure related to 5v though. Shame really,
as he was a very clever guy, and clearly knew these beasts inside out, but
boy, was his lecture hard work to understand, just purely from the
linguistic point of view.

And then, of course, we had Mr Beardy in the class, who stopped the poor
little guy every six sentences, and took him, and the whole class, off on a
tangent about some obscure problem that he'd had 10 years ago, for 15
minutes. I'm sure that you've been there ...

Thanks for confirming my suspicions about the 5v reg - I'll let you know !

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

et...

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. net...
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

It has been fun playing with this. I salvaged it from the recycling heap. It
looks like I will be scraping it an dselling the parts on eBay.

Thanks all for the information.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It has been fun playing with this. I salvaged it from the recycling heap. It
looks like I will be scraping it an dselling the parts on eBay.

Wait! When an output device goes, doesn't it frequently take the driver stage
transistor with it? Look back "up" the power output train for a shorted
tranny before binning it.
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"DaveC" wrote in message
obal.net...
It has been fun playing with this. I salvaged it from the recycling heap.
It
looks like I will be scraping it an dselling the parts on eBay.

Wait! When an output device goes, doesn't it frequently take the driver
stage
transistor with it? Look back "up" the power output train for a shorted
tranny before binning it.
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

I will give that a look before I do anything. All I have is a couple DVMs
and a transistor checker but I can do quite a bit with this limited test
package!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

will give that a look before I do anything. All I have is a couple DVMs
and a transistor checker but I can do quite a bit with this limited test
package!

"Continuity" setting on your DVM is all you'll need, probably (c:
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
I have an old Yamaha CR-820 receiver/amplifier that no longer has any
sound output. The meters still show signal strenght when a tune across the
AM/FM bands but I get no audio from the speakers or the phone jack. No
hiss. hum, carckle or pops. JUst solid dead silence.

It isn't worth sending out for a shop base repair.

Has anyone has a similar problem? Does anyone know where I can obtain a
schematic or service manual?

Have you plugged in a CD player to it yet?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. net...
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Reg chip arrived. Fitted Friday morning. Still running Friday night, so I
guess we got us a result !

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 18, 2:43 pm, "Paul Feaker" wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

. net...

I have an old Yamaha CR-820 receiver/amplifier that no longer has any
sound output. The meters still show signal strenght when a tune across the
AM/FM bands but I get no audio from the speakers or the phone jack. No
hiss. hum, carckle or pops. JUst solid dead silence.

It isn't worth sending out for a shop base repair.

Has anyone has a similar problem? Does anyone know where I can obtain a
schematic or service manual?

Have you plugged in a CD player to it yet?

Why would anybody plug in a CD player to a broken stereo stupid?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sitre Magana" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 18, 2:43 pm, "Paul Feaker" wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

. net...

I have an old Yamaha CR-820 receiver/amplifier that no longer has any
sound output. The meters still show signal strenght when a tune across
the
AM/FM bands but I get no audio from the speakers or the phone jack. No
hiss. hum, carckle or pops. JUst solid dead silence.

It isn't worth sending out for a shop base repair.

Has anyone has a similar problem? Does anyone know where I can obtain a
schematic or service manual?

Have you plugged in a CD player to it yet?

Why would anybody plug in a CD player to a broken stereo stupid?

That is what I thiought too. I think the post may have been just a "funny".

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 25, 10:38 pm, "Dave" wrote:
"SitreMagana" wrote in message

Why would anybody plug in a CD player to a broken stereo stupid?

Methinks so you can rule out the tuner, If you plug in a CD player and
you hear music, then you can be sure that the tuner is ****ed.
But if you don't then you work from there.

That is what I thiought too. I think the post may have been just a "funny".- Hide quoted text -

You want to know what else is funny: You and Sitre Magana is a gay
porno video, asshole.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Brittany Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 25, 10:38 pm, "Dave" wrote:
"SitreMagana" wrote in message

Why would anybody plug in a CD player to a broken stereo stupid?

Methinks so you can rule out the tuner, If you plug in a CD player and
you hear music, then you can be sure that the tuner is ****ed.
But if you don't then you work from there.

That is what I thiought too. I think the post may have been just a
"funny".- Hide quoted text -

You want to know what else is funny: You and Sitre Magana is a gay
porno video, asshole.

I know the tuner works.

Your a real asset to the newsgroup.