Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Dave is offline

Default Yamaha CR-820 Repair: No Output, Tuner shows signal received.

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. net...
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
I have an old Yamaha CR-820 receiver/amplifier that no longer has
any sound output. The meters still show signal strenght when a tune
across the AM/FM bands but I get no audio from the speakers or the
phone jack. No hiss. hum, carckle or pops. JUst solid dead silence.

It isn't worth sending out for a shop base repair.

Has anyone has a similar problem? Does anyone know where I can
obtain a schematic or service manual?

If it's nothing straightforward like a failed ( rather than blown )
fuse, then it's most likely that the speaker protection circuit is
operating because of a blown output stage. I've a vague recollection
that this one uses an output hybrid ( big black "IC" bolted to the
heatsink with type STK-xxx ) and if so, it is likely that this is
your problem. Some of these can be very expensive, and many of the
older ones are now obsolete and hard to obtain. If it is one of the
models that uses discrete output stages, then you might struggle to
get to the bottom of its problems, particularly without a set of
schematics, which again, might be difficult to find for an item this
old.
Arfa

The CR-820 uses discrete transistors, but the repair isn't for newbies -
there's fusible resistors inside asbestos tubing which go bad, usually
without any visible clue, and the layout is hardly service-friendly.

Mark Z.

Thanks for the information all.

Yes there are 4 heat sinked bipolar transsitors. They cost about $10 each.
They get warm to the touch.

I bought a service manual for $15 bucks.

I will see what I can find out. This was a friend's unit.

I wil check out those fusible resistors.