Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Yamaha CR-820 Repair: No Output, Tuner shows signal received.

"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
I have an old Yamaha CR-820 receiver/amplifier that no longer has any
sound output. The meters still show signal strenght when a tune across the
AM/FM bands but I get no audio from the speakers or the phone jack. No
hiss. hum, carckle or pops. JUst solid dead silence.

It isn't worth sending out for a shop base repair.

Has anyone has a similar problem? Does anyone know where I can obtain a
schematic or service manual?

If it's nothing straightforward like a failed ( rather than blown ) fuse,
then it's most likely that the speaker protection circuit is operating
because of a blown output stage. I've a vague recollection that this one
uses an output hybrid ( big black "IC" bolted to the heatsink with type
STK-xxx ) and if so, it is likely that this is your problem. Some of these
can be very expensive, and many of the older ones are now obsolete and hard
to obtain. If it is one of the models that uses discrete output stages, then
you might struggle to get to the bottom of its problems, particularly
without a set of schematics, which again, might be difficult to find for an
item this old.

Arfa