Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Replacement part for older TV

I have an older Magnavox 25TRC1 television, and I noticed that my
remote control no longer works. I don't have the original remote, but
I use a universal remote that came with my DVR. This remote has
always worked, and I think that the problem is inside the TV itself
since the remote works fine for my other devices. I've have had to
take the remote control sensor out of the TV several times throughout
the lifespan of the TV and clean it. I thought this was the problem
this time, but it doesn't seem to be. I think that the sensor has
finally gone bad.

Does anyone have any advise (short of buying a new TV) on how to make
this work? Perhaps someone knows where I can get a new sensor chip
for the TV.

Thanks,

Troy Henderson

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

tlhiv / Troy:
As compared to the remote control itself, the sensor inside the television
SELDOM is faulty, but it does happen. Before you jump through unnecessary
hoops here, go to WalMart or Radio Shack and purchase a cheap universal
remote.... as little as $5.... and try it with your television.
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair
- - - - - - -

"tlhiv" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have an older Magnavox 25TRC1 television, and I noticed that my
remote control no longer works. I don't have the original remote, but
I use a universal remote that came with my DVR. This remote has
always worked, and I think that the problem is inside the TV itself
since the remote works fine for my other devices. I've have had to
take the remote control sensor out of the TV several times throughout
the lifespan of the TV and clean it. I thought this was the problem
this time, but it doesn't seem to be. I think that the sensor has
finally gone bad.

Does anyone have any advise (short of buying a new TV) on how to make
this work? Perhaps someone knows where I can get a new sensor chip
for the TV.

Thanks,

Troy Henderson

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"tlhiv" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have an older Magnavox 25TRC1 television, and I noticed that my
remote control no longer works. I don't have the original remote, but
I use a universal remote that came with my DVR. This remote has
always worked, and I think that the problem is inside the TV itself
since the remote works fine for my other devices. I've have had to
take the remote control sensor out of the TV several times throughout
the lifespan of the TV and clean it. I thought this was the problem
this time, but it doesn't seem to be. I think that the sensor has
finally gone bad.

Does anyone have any advise (short of buying a new TV) on how to make
this work? Perhaps someone knows where I can get a new sensor chip
for the TV.

Thanks,

Troy Henderson

Frequent removing/replacing the sensor may have caused tiny cracks in the
print tracks near the solder pads.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sofie,

Thanks for the reply. I have a universal remote that came with my
DVR. It has worked in the past, and the remote still works on my
other devices (e.g., VCR, DVD, etc.).

Troy

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"tlhiv" ) writes:
Sofie,

Thanks for the reply. I have a universal remote that came with my
DVR. It has worked in the past, and the remote still works on my
other devices (e.g., VCR, DVD, etc.).

Troy

Have you made sure the thing is still properly programmed? Maybe especially
if you've dropped it and the batteries have fallen out, or if you've changed
the batteries. For that matter, if the batteries are getting weak, that
also might cause the loss of the programming.

I have a universal remote that I use at times, and it seems it can
fall out of being programmed. At the very least, accidentally pressing
the wrong button might explain why I have to reprogram it.

I think this is more likely than the IR receiver, as someone else
also pointed out.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have tried to reprogram it. I have a list of codes that I've tried
in the past, and one of them used to work but not now. This thing
stopped working when I was adjusting the color in the TV menu that one
of my children messed up. I thought maybe I had changed something in
there, but I have looked through the menus SEVERAL times and can't
find anything that would indicate that I've disabled the remote from
the TV.

Troy