Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Crossover resistors

After a speaker cabinet went out on me I took it apart and tested each
speaker , 3inch,4inch and a 15 inch.
All seemed fine.
I replaced the 2 caps (1.5 and a 6) and the resistors (5w 2.2 Ohm) .These
are the same values as the old ones.
Almost no sound was making its way to to the 3 or 4 inch. speakers. I
removed the resistors and it sounds as good as it used to.
My question is what funtion does the resistor play?
Does it protect the speakers from overload?
Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT CJT is offline

DanFXR wrote:
After a speaker cabinet went out on me I took it apart and tested each
speaker , 3inch,4inch and a 15 inch.
All seemed fine.
I replaced the 2 caps (1.5 and a 6) and the resistors (5w 2.2 Ohm) .These
are the same values as the old ones.
Almost no sound was making its way to to the 3 or 4 inch. speakers. I
removed the resistors and it sounds as good as it used to.
My question is what funtion does the resistor play?
Does it protect the speakers from overload?
Thanks

Presumably they contribute to the crossover's frequency domain
performance -- e.g. its Q.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , "DanFXR" wrote:
After a speaker cabinet went out on me I took it apart and tested each
speaker , 3inch,4inch and a 15 inch.
All seemed fine.
I replaced the 2 caps (1.5 and a 6) and the resistors (5w 2.2 Ohm) .These
are the same values as the old ones.
Almost no sound was making its way to to the 3 or 4 inch. speakers. I
removed the resistors and it sounds as good as it used to.
My question is what funtion does the resistor play?
Does it protect the speakers from overload?
Thanks

Resistors mainly control the amplitude to adjust drivers outputs. Very few
drivers have the same sensitivity. The resistors also can increase power
handling, have effects on crossover frequency and phase, and can change
damping. Off axis response will change and response will change. Somehow your
not going to get the same response by bypassing the resistors. Changibg
capacitor types will also change things.

greg

Infinity crossover coil value BOB Urz Electronics Repair 49 February 18th 07 09:35 AM
Resistors Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 27 December 30th 06 06:28 PM
Crossover vehicle access adder1969 UK diy 9 December 18th 06 04:09 AM
REQ: Apogee Acoustics Mini-Grand DAX crossover info Jack Schwab Electronics Repair 0 September 16th 06 07:59 AM
Help identifying these resistors from a speaker crossover VH Electronics Repair 6 October 25th 05 02:24 AM