VH

Default Help identifying these resistors from a speaker crossover

Help! my tweeter on my expensive speaker is silent. These resistors are
sticking out of the potted crossover and I'm hoping that replacing them
will get things back in order.

Here is a link to a picture of the resistors. Click on the picture to
enlarge it.

http://homepage.mac.com/vhuang/resis...toAlbum18.html

A source for these components or a suggestion for alternate would be
great.

I'm in the San Francisco area, plenty of electronics stores.

Mark D. Zacharias

"VH" wrote in message
oups.com...
Help! my tweeter on my expensive speaker is silent. These resistors are
sticking out of the potted crossover and I'm hoping that replacing them
will get things back in order.

Here is a link to a picture of the resistors. Click on the picture to
enlarge it.

http://homepage.mac.com/vhuang/resis...toAlbum18.html

A source for these components or a suggestion for alternate would be
great.

I'm in the San Francisco area, plenty of electronics stores.

Those aren't resistors. Maybe some sort of self-resetting circuit protector.

Mark Z.

VH

Mark,

Thanks. I'm hoping that whatever is sticking out of the potting is the
part that is the least robust and most likely part to need replacement
if the speaker gets driven too hard. I'll call the mfg. tomorrow.

I've heard of resistors getting blown and needing replacement with
these speakers so that's what I assumed they were.

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

Those aren't resistors. Maybe some sort of self-resetting circuit protector.

Mark Z.

VH

I think they are resistors. I found the manufacturer..Caddock high
performance resistors.

Can't find these part numbers (MDN0178 and MDN0509) on their webpage
but I'll call them tomorrow.

Cyrus®

They are resistance with 1% tolerance, take your speaker to electronic shop
and do resistance measurement test, it seems 4.2 OHM resistor is burned.(
OPEN ). Check your Non-Polar Electrolytic capacitors too with ESR meter.

Cyrus®

Mark D. Zacharias

"Cyrus®" wrote in message
They are resistance with 1% tolerance, take your speaker to electronic
shop and do resistance measurement test, it seems 4.2 OHM resistor is
burned.( OPEN ). Check your Non-Polar Electrolytic capacitors too with ESR
meter.

Cyrus®

I was wrong again, eh. Never seen resistors like this, though. We live and
learn.

mz

Fred McKenzie

In article .com, "VH"
wrote:

Help! my tweeter on my expensive speaker is silent. These resistors are
sticking out of the potted crossover and I'm hoping that replacing them
will get things back in order.

Here is a link to a picture of the resistors. Click on the picture to
enlarge it.

http://homepage.mac.com/vhuang/resis...toAlbum18.html

V.H.-

The 3.20 resistor is connected on the right side to a terminal that
appears to have two other wires connected. The 3.20 appears to be the one
on the bottom of the stack. Many times I've seen a similar situation
where the one on the bottom did not get soldered. At first it works
because the wire is touching the terminal, but over time an open
connection develops.

Fred