Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 2 Dead INTEL D845GLAD Mainboards

Hi all,

I have two identical Intel D845GLAD main boards, 2 CPUs, one stick of
working RAM and a reliable PSU. Neither board will post & no beep codes
whatsoever, board A at least switches on and off (Fans kick in), Board B
just sits there like a dead duck.

When CPU B is in Board A, the fans die after 10 seconds; with CPU A the
board sits on happily for hours. Checked thermal paste and chip seating. As
I have no access to a working Intel main board or CPU what can I ascertain
from the difference in behaviour of the processors?

Absolutely nothing is my favoured guess at the moment but glad to be
corrected...

Alasdair

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In message , Alasdair
Campbell writes
Hi all,

I have two identical Intel D845GLAD main boards, 2 CPUs, one stick of
working RAM and a reliable PSU. Neither board will post & no beep codes
whatsoever, board A at least switches on and off (Fans kick in), Board B
just sits there like a dead duck.

When CPU B is in Board A, the fans die after 10 seconds; with CPU A the
board sits on happily for hours. Checked thermal paste and chip seating. As
I have no access to a working Intel main board or CPU what can I ascertain
from the difference in behaviour of the processors?

Umm, they're both faulty but in different ways?

Absolutely nothing is my favoured guess at the moment but glad to be
corrected...

Might be worth buying a cheap POST card from eBay, could be BIOS
corruption/bad flash on the semi working one..

Alasdair

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If the boards are a few years old, they might have the faulty capacitor
problem which plagued a lot of manufacturers. Look at the main capacitors,
the round cylindrical metal ended cans (1cm dia x 2 cm high) around the
memory sockets and processor. If the ends are domed and not flat then that
may well be the problem and replacement may fix them if permanent damage
from overvoltage has not been caused to the processor or RAM.

If the motherboards are new, then the above scenario is unlikely.

Russell

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"rverdon" verdonsATtpgi.com.au wrote in message
If the boards are a few years old, they might have the faulty capacitor
problem which plagued a lot of manufacturers. Look at the main capacitors,
the round cylindrical metal ended cans (1cm dia x 2 cm high) around the
memory sockets and processor. If the ends are domed and not flat then that
may well be the problem and replacement may fix them if permanent damage
from overvoltage has not been caused to the processor or RAM.

If the motherboards are new, then the above scenario is unlikely.

The motherboards are indeed 2-4 years old, but neither show signs of the
capaciter problem. Normally I'd just resign them to the great recylcing
centre in the sky, but a client wanted a report written on the completely
dead one, and I had visions of using the other as part of a render farm. The
owner wishes to pursue PC World under the sale of goods act. I've checked
every component on the board for signs of damage and can't get any further.

Thanks for the help

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

The semi working board died after a memory upgrade attempt by a client's
son. As I've never had aboard die on me, I can't see how he would have
mangaed to kill it and presumed it was BIOS corruption, however the
emergency bios update system isn't working.

I think I'll just need to say goodbye to it/ Hate throwing things out
however..

Alasdair

--
Clint Sharp

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Alasdair Campbell wrote:

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message ,
Alasdair Campbell writes
Hi all,

I have two identical Intel D845GLAD main boards, 2 CPUs, one stick
of working RAM and a reliable PSU. Neither board will post & no
beep codes whatsoever, board A at least switches on and off (Fans
kick in), Board B just sits there like a dead duck.

If the board switches on/off the cpu is possibly Ok. Check for correct
voltages on power rails!

[...]

Quite probably "static damage"

I think I'll just need to say goodbye to it/ Hate throwing things
out however..

Alasdair

--
Clint Sharp

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:00:49 +0000, Baron wrote:

Quite probably "static damage"

Intel 845's? From that era, it's more likely defective caps.
Look for the tops of the electrolytic caps bulging.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In message , Baron
writes
The semi working board died after a memory upgrade attempt by a
client's
son. As I've never had aboard die on me, I can't see how he would
have mangaed to kill it and presumed it was BIOS corruption, however
the emergency bios update system isn't working.

Quite probably "static damage"

You can also fry a board if you force the wrong memory into it or put
the correct memory in the wrong way round. It's not common and takes a
special kind of idiot but.....
I think I'll just need to say goodbye to it/ Hate throwing things
out however..

Alasdair

--
Clint Sharp

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

The caps do NOT have to BURST or OOZE to be bad. The 2002 - 2005 era was
VERY BAD for almost all manufacturers (motherboards, switch power supplies,
car audio, iPods, hard drives, test equipment).

Abit replaces the bad boards -- I would talk to you local Intel regional
representative (or talk to a certified dealer -- who can for you)

Here is the WEB SITE (to get educated)
http://www.badcaps.net/

http://www.badcaps.net/ident/

Covered in IEEE Spectrum in 2002 , Cnet.com and most journals during that
period.
EVEN WIKI has an article about the plaque !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

http://news.com.com/PCs+plagued+by+b...3-5942647.html

http://news.com.com/When+good+capaci...3-5940438.html

http://cquirke.mvps.org/badcaps.htm