Posted to sci.electronics.repair
rverdon rverdon is offline

Default 2 Dead INTEL D845GLAD Mainboards

If the boards are a few years old, they might have the faulty capacitor
problem which plagued a lot of manufacturers. Look at the main capacitors,
the round cylindrical metal ended cans (1cm dia x 2 cm high) around the
memory sockets and processor. If the ends are domed and not flat then that
may well be the problem and replacement may fix them if permanent damage
from overvoltage has not been caused to the processor or RAM.

If the motherboards are new, then the above scenario is unlikely.

Russell

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message , Alasdair
Campbell writes
Hi all,

I have two identical Intel D845GLAD main boards, 2 CPUs, one stick of
working RAM and a reliable PSU. Neither board will post & no beep codes
whatsoever, board A at least switches on and off (Fans kick in), Board B
just sits there like a dead duck.

When CPU B is in Board A, the fans die after 10 seconds; with CPU A the
board sits on happily for hours. Checked thermal paste and chip seating.
As
I have no access to a working Intel main board or CPU what can I ascertain
from the difference in behaviour of the processors?

Umm, they're both faulty but in different ways?

Absolutely nothing is my favoured guess at the moment but glad to be
corrected...

Might be worth buying a cheap POST card from eBay, could be BIOS
corruption/bad flash on the semi working one..

Alasdair

--
Clint Sharp