Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Alasdair Campbell Alasdair Campbell is offline

Default 2 Dead INTEL D845GLAD Mainboards

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message , Alasdair
Campbell writes
Hi all,

I have two identical Intel D845GLAD main boards, 2 CPUs, one stick of
working RAM and a reliable PSU. Neither board will post & no beep codes
whatsoever, board A at least switches on and off (Fans kick in), Board B
just sits there like a dead duck.

When CPU B is in Board A, the fans die after 10 seconds; with CPU A the
board sits on happily for hours. Checked thermal paste and chip seating.

As
I have no access to a working Intel main board or CPU what can I

ascertain
from the difference in behaviour of the processors?

Umm, they're both faulty but in different ways?

Absolutely nothing is my favoured guess at the moment but glad to be
corrected...

Might be worth buying a cheap POST card from eBay, could be BIOS
corruption/bad flash on the semi working one..

The semi working board died after a memory upgrade attempt by a client's
son. As I've never had aboard die on me, I can't see how he would have
mangaed to kill it and presumed it was BIOS corruption, however the
emergency bios update system isn't working.

I think I'll just need to say goodbye to it/ Hate throwing things out
however..

Alasdair

--
Clint Sharp