Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Alasdair Campbell Alasdair Campbell is offline

Default 2 Dead INTEL D845GLAD Mainboards

"rverdon" verdonsATtpgi.com.au wrote in message
If the boards are a few years old, they might have the faulty capacitor
problem which plagued a lot of manufacturers. Look at the main capacitors,
the round cylindrical metal ended cans (1cm dia x 2 cm high) around the
memory sockets and processor. If the ends are domed and not flat then that
may well be the problem and replacement may fix them if permanent damage
from overvoltage has not been caused to the processor or RAM.

If the motherboards are new, then the above scenario is unlikely.

The motherboards are indeed 2-4 years old, but neither show signs of the
capaciter problem. Normally I'd just resign them to the great recylcing
centre in the sky, but a client wanted a report written on the completely
dead one, and I had visions of using the other as part of a render farm. The
owner wishes to pursue PC World under the sale of goods act. I've checked
every component on the board for signs of damage and can't get any further.

Thanks for the help