Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Washed-out looking monitor

Help! Just got a new (to me) monitor that a friend disposed of; plugged
it into my 'puter, but it looks horrible.

Monitor is a 19" flat-screen (not flat-panel) Dell Trinitron (which I
assume is actually a Sony tube?). Friend said it was working fine for
him (he got rid of it since he got a flat-panel display to replace it).

Previous monitor works fine, color-wise, so I know it's not my video
card. This is on a PC (standard SVGA). I have my display set at
1152x864, 32-bit True Color, if it makes a diff.

The plug looks fine; no bent or missing pins (well, except for pin 10,
which is missing in purpose on all SVGA plugs).

The display is very low contrast and washed-out looking, even with the
contrast control cranked all the way up. Plus there are several (9, to
be exact) diagonal lines across the width of the screen. Degaussing (via
OSD) makes no difference.

Not a huge deal, since this was a freebie, but I'd like to know if
there's some easy fix here before I pitch this thing.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)