Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Washed-out looking monitor

Meat Plow spake thus:

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 21:12:15 -0800, David Nebenzahl Has Frothed:

Dani spake thus:

Please, don't open a monitor, unless you are quite familiar with them!
You can get a bad shock, or
worse! This is one way to do a "work around", for the problem! I have
done a couple, & it works fine.
You MAY have to "tweak" the exact resistor value, to get a good G-2
"range"!

You must not have read my reply up there in this thread. I managed to
get it looking fine by using a built-in function (which, by the way, I'm
still curious to know what exactly it does: it's called "COLOR RETURN"
in the "OPTION" menu).

So what, pray tell, is a "G-2" range? Don't worry; I know all about
resistors, and high voltages, and shocks, and all that. No need to
nanny-state me with all the dire warnings.

So you know all about CRT devices but don't know about the CRT's g2 grid?
The warnings are for your saftey and the potential saftey of others
reading these threads.

No, I had never heard that term before. I do know about CRTs (not *all*
about them, obviously), but I'm not in the TV repair business and don't
know all the jargon. So sue me.

By the way, I did look up "G2" on Google, and discovered that it seems
to indicate a grid (2nd grid, I'm assuming) on vacuum tubes in general,
not just CRTs; found references to 6550s and such.

But I do know all about high voltages, and know enough to be damn
careful with the innards of any TV set or monitor. The two aren't
mutually exclusive, you know, so you can lay off your warnings, as
well-intentioned as they may be.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)