Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dell Latitude charging problems

I've found several reports on people with bad internal charging circuits for
Dell Latitude PCs (I currently have a Latitude C600).

The symptoms include:
-Battery does not charge
-High pitched noise coming from motherboard when plugged into AC adapter.
(this is not fan noise - most likely FET?)

I cannot seem to find any information on how to fix (mine is out of
warranty). This sounds like a pretty common problem so I was hoping that
someone here had some additional information on how to fix. This is not a
battery problem as both charge fine in other laptops.
Please respond to junkbox1001 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sparky" wrote in message
m...
I've found several reports on people with bad internal charging circuits

for
Dell Latitude PCs (I currently have a Latitude C600).

The symptoms include:
-Battery does not charge
-High pitched noise coming from motherboard when plugged into AC adapter.
(this is not fan noise - most likely FET?)

I cannot seem to find any information on how to fix (mine is out of
warranty). This sounds like a pretty common problem so I was hoping that
someone here had some additional information on how to fix. This is not a
battery problem as both charge fine in other laptops.
Please respond to junkbox1001 (at) yahoo (dot) com

If the defect existed while under warranty it should still be covered. In
the auto industry they have silent recalls so they don't have to have a real
recall. I've also seen the phrase "Manufacturer extended warranty" to cover
this situation. They don't advertise them. You have nothing to lose by
checking into it. Got a free lunch from a friend when I talked him into
returning his out of warranty lawn mower. He got a new engine.