Brad Curfman

Default Damaged Dell Flat Panel 2001FP, Dell says they don't repair flatpanels

Does anyone have experience with getting a Dell Flat Panel monitor
repaired ? I have a 2001FP that was knocked off my desk this week.
Since this was accidental damage, the monitor would not be
repaired/replaced within warranty.

I've talked to several different departments in Dell the last couple
days, and nobody knows for certain if they can repair the monitor. They
all say to buy a new one. That is unacceptable. The monitor is 3 months
old, so I don't want a new one, I just want to get this one repaired.

Any ideas ? Are there any consumer protection acts/laws that require a
company to offer a repair service for products they sell ? I am totally
fine with paying to have this repaired since it isn't a warranty claim,
I just think it is ridiculous that I should have to buy a brand new flat
panel and trash this one. Half of the screen works, so I can still use
it somewhat, since I use screen sharing between 2 flat panels.

Brad Curfman
http://www.curfman.net

The monitor is the repair part for the computer system.
I have yet to find any lcd monitor vendor that has any repair service
available. They always exchange under warranty.

If the lcd panel is actually cracked, getting a hold of a spare lcd
panel is typically difficult at best. The manufactures generally do
not sell them individually.

There is no law requiring repair service be available. Only repair OR
replacement during the warranty period for a warranty failure.

Do not forget that in many States electronics are now hazardous waste,
even from the household and you cannot simply throw it away but will
have to pay to have it properly disposed or recycled.

mike

Brad Curfman wrote:
[...]

It sucks, but that's the way it is with a lot of stuff.
That's part of the price for buying by mail.
IF you broke the glass, trash it. If you didn't, call around
local fixit shops or give it your your favorite computer geek to take
apart. If you have to pay hourly rate to have it fixed, buy a new one.

If you'd bothered to say where you were located, someone might be able
to direct you to a specific place...but...

mike

Ken Weitzel

mike wrote:
Brad Curfman wrote:

[...]

Hi...

Another possibility (if the display's indeed physically broken) is to
seek out another that's broken beyond repair in another way. Perhaps LF
(WTD) in your local newsgroups; perhaps e-bay) Make one good one out of
two.

Ken

dmthomas

If the LCD panel is toast, and it probably is, that's 80% of the monitor's
value. You'd probably be talking $100 or less difference between having it
repaired (if you can find someone to do it) and buying a new one. Might as
well accept that accidents happen, bite the bullet, and order a new one from
Dell...

"Brad Curfman" wrote in message

Does anyone have experience with getting a Dell Flat Panel monitor
repaired ? I have a 2001FP that was knocked off my desk this week.
Since this was accidental damage, the monitor would not be
repaired/replaced within warranty.

Brad Curfman

In case anyone wants to see some pictures of what happened ( and how ),
I've put a summary on my site. The monitor still works and there is a
picture at the end to prove it.

http://www.curfman.net/officemishap.html

Brad Curfman
http://www.curfman.net

Brad Curfman wrote:
[...]

Brad Curfaman:
I looked at the pictures..... sad story...... The LCD glass is
broken... you will have to buy a replacement monitor..... the repair
part (the LCD display) is the major item and the major cost... much
like a picture tube in a CRT television. Not cost effective to repair.
electrictiym
..
..

Dave D

"Brad Curfman" wrote in message
In case anyone wants to see some pictures of what happened ( and how ),
I've put a summary on my site. The monitor still works and there is a
picture at the end to prove it.

http://www.curfman.net/officemishap.html

Scrap I'm sorry to say. The LCD panel itself has fractured so a new LCD
assembly would be required, which is not a viable job. You could bung it on
eBay for spares and you might get something for it (not much). It is
absolutely not worth repairing though.

Dave

JW

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 00:07:33 -0400 Brad Curfman
wrote in Message id: :

http://www.curfman.net/officemishap.html

It's shot. I'd recommend buying another one of the exact same model, and
keeping the old one for parts. The inverter and controller are still good.
Brad Curfman

Ebay ??!!? Are you people nuts ?

I now have a perfectly fine $562 USB hub sitting on my desk now. And it
even comes with half of a 20" screen !!!

I'm sure I'll get a new one, just not in the next few days. I do have a
17" Samsung in my basement that isn't being used, so I could hock that
on ebay as well and that fetch a little bit of funds.

But I'm still hoping the paypal donation link pans out. If everyone of
my friends donated 50 cents, I'm sure I would get a few dollars...

Brad Curfman
http://www.curfman.net

Dave D wrote:
"Brad Curfman" wrote in message

In case anyone wants to see some pictures of what happened ( and how ),
I've put a summary on my site. The monitor still works and there is a
picture at the end to prove it.

http://www.curfman.net/officemishap.html

Scrap I'm sorry to say. The LCD panel itself has fractured so a new LCD
assembly would be required, which is not a viable job. You could bung it on
eBay for spares and you might get something for it (not much). It is
absolutely not worth repairing though.

Dave

Clint Sharp

In message , Brad Curfman
writes
In case anyone wants to see some pictures of what happened ( and how ),
I've put a summary on my site. The monitor still works and there is a
picture at the end to prove it.

http://www.curfman.net/officemishap.html

Brad Curfman
http://www.curfman.net

Dude, forget the repair the panel is toast. As others have mentioned the
glass is probably 80% of the value of the monitor if not more so it's
just not economically viable to pay someone to strip, replace and test
the unit if the glass is broken like yours is.
--
Clint Sharp

Definitely not worth fixing. The only 20" TFT LCD panel I show as
available from any parts source has a parts price of $560 plus s&h.
May or may not be the same one used in this monitor.

Best bet is to buy an exact model and keep this one for the backlights
and inverters.

Albert Grennock

wrote in message
oups.com...
The monitor is the repair part for the computer system.
I have yet to find any lcd monitor vendor that has any repair service
available. They always exchange under warranty.

If the lcd panel is actually cracked, getting a hold of a spare lcd
panel is typically difficult at best. The manufactures generally do
not sell them individually.

There is no law requiring repair service be available. Only repair OR
replacement during the warranty period for a warranty failure.

Do not forget that in many States electronics are now hazardous waste,
even from the household and you cannot simply throw it away but will
have to pay to have it properly disposed or recycled.

Best to just chuck it in a skip then ;O)

Albert Grennock

[...]

I would say 'bin it' as it will not be cost effective to repair it.

The only other thing I would suggest it for you to open it up
yourself and see if there is anything obvious you could 'repair'.
I don't know how those screen work but I imagine you could
find out just looked actually.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/lcd3.htm

I am guessing some of your liquid crystals have 'escaped' :O)
Don't know how you would recapture them though :O|

Can you change the display at all by pressing on it?

Anyway you have nothing to lose by playing around with it.

A google on "LCD repair" won't do you any harm!!

http://www.man-machine.com/lcdrepar.htm

Brad Curfman
http://www.curfman.net

Michael Kennedy

I had this happen to my first laptop. I was devistated, but it was a cheapo
laptop I bought for $60 at a police auction. There is no way to fix it
without buying a new lcd panel. I can tell you from working on these things
that there is not much else inside one of these except that pane of glass
you see from the outside. Just a few wires and cables.

- Mike

[...]

James Sweet

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
I had this happen to my first laptop. I was devistated, but it was a

cheapo
laptop I bought for $60 at a police auction. There is no way to fix it
without buying a new lcd panel. I can tell you from working on these

things
that there is not much else inside one of these except that pane of glass
you see from the outside. Just a few wires and cables.

Keep an eye on ebay, sooner or later you might find a similar laptop with a
fried motherboard or some other problem, I've fixed a couple that way by
swapping parts around. As you say though there's no way to repair a cracked
LCD panel, period. That's the only major component in the whole monitor and
when you break it you buy a new monitor, end of story.

gluing panel in flat panel door igor Woodworking 2 November 29th 04 02:57 PM
hand planing a panel flat Dimit94844 Woodworking 5 November 2nd 04 01:47 AM
Old Laptop Screen As Flat Panel monitor Tim Mitchell Electronics Repair 9 April 2nd 04 07:24 PM
Gateway Flat panel Monitor illumination... James Sweet Electronics Repair 1 March 18th 04 01:22 AM
Flat panel heaters Tom Miller UK diy 5 January 8th 04 06:30 PM