Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default just asking.. before i start.

Have this mobile radio i will be looking at soon
when i get it.
It works perfectly, apparently how ever, it constantly
draws 6 amps when turned off which is a lot more than it
should be drawing just for the RX mode idle state.
And no over load protection ever kicks in, in essence, it
drains the battery in the car.
My guess is, it maybe a leaky reverse diode or cap that
just isn't shorting enough to cause protection over loads
to take place.
We'll see when we get the radio on our bench.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jamie wrote:
Have this mobile radio i will be looking at soon
when i get it.
It works perfectly, apparently how ever, it constantly
draws 6 amps when turned off which is a lot more than it
should be drawing just for the RX mode idle state.
And no over load protection ever kicks in, in essence, it
drains the battery in the car.
My guess is, it maybe a leaky reverse diode or cap that
just isn't shorting enough to cause protection over loads
to take place.
We'll see when we get the radio on our bench.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

If you had included a Make ,model & if a CB or other I might be able to
help you.
Here are some suggestions (If unit is hybred tubes & transistor you may
have tube filiments on all time) Most comercial units had a black wire
for ground, A red wire for radio operation & another smaller wire
(usually orange for tube filiments on Motorola) Ignition had to be on
to transmit, unit would rec when ever on off sw was in on position

Where do you start? Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 34 September 19th 06 08:29 AM
If you were to start again, how would you do it? shedfull Metalworking 3 May 21st 05 12:36 PM
Where do I start? Reggie Woodturning 4 January 9th 05 03:06 PM
Where do I start? Reggie Woodturning 1 January 7th 05 07:15 PM
Kenmore dryer 2002 Push to start will start motor but will not stay on. Doug Home Repair 2 August 18th 04 11:32 PM