Junior Member

Thumbs up Where do I start?

I have a lathe with a sharp chisel. The wood is my problem. I live in east Texas on a fixed income and have to collect wood from the area. I found out that pine is abundant and cheap but not good to turn. I have oak available, how long does it have to dry or does it. I ordered some knives and should be here soon. I love the turning process and I would like to supplement my income locally, any response would help greatly....GOD BLESS...Reggie
Darrell Feltmate

Reggie
Take a look at my web site. It should answer some of your questions.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

william kossack

Wet wood is often easier to turn especially for beginners and especially
if it is free. However it can crack and warp (some like the effect of
the warp).

There is a long list of how to rough out and then dry before finish
turning.

I turn anything I can find. In colorado aspen is plentiful and so is
cottonwood, russian olive etc. Aspen and cottonwood are turning into my
favorite local woods

Shoot I've heard of people even turning Chinese tallow in Texas.

Reggie wrote:
I have a lathe with a sharp chisel. The wood is my problem. I live in
east Texas on a fixed income and have to collect wood from the area. I
found out that pine is abundant and cheap but not good to turn. I have
oak available, how long does it have to dry or does it. I ordered some
knives and should be here soon. I love the turning process and I would
like to supplement my income locally, any response would help
greatly....GOD BLESS...Reggie

Ron Robinson

Hi Reggie,

East Texas is a big place. I live at Mt. Enterprise. If you are close
enough to me to get by here easily, I'll send you home with some good
turning stock.
If you are close enough to Tyler to take advantage of the generosity of the
people at the East Texas Woodturner's Club, there are folks there who would
do the same. You can check them out here--

http://www.easttexaswoodturners.org/

Good Luck.

Ron Robinson
East Texas