Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Potentiometer of Technics 323 tuner amplifier

Hi!

I got Technics 323 tuner amp, which is lacking a volume pot. It has
balance adjustment on the same knob, too. The knob came with it, it has
a "head" and "sleeve" which both have the same radius, and have no
space between them.

So might the balance adjustment be done so that the "head" just adjusts
one channel and the sleeve the other, and thus their ratio could be
adjusted, and when the volume is adjusted, both of them (ie. the entire
knob) are turned same amount?

What might be the name of the pot of such kind (a stereo pot having the
both channels separately adjustable?)

Then there is one more problem. There is a 5-wire ribbon cable for
connection of the pot...what might be the pinout? Or if anyone doesn't
know, how could I analyze it with a scope maybe? It just cannot be
easily done by analyzing the circuit, since the mainboard is very
complex and has a lot of stuff above it, and the device hasn't a
detachable bottom, so disassembling for analyzing the circuit would be
quite an infernal job...:

--
Top-posting not supported.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Simoc" wrote in message
ups.com...

I got Technics 323 tuner amp, which is lacking a volume pot. It has
balance adjustment on the same knob, too. The knob came with it, it has
a "head" and "sleeve" which both have the same radius, and have no
space between them.

Concentric pots. The volume one is a pair of pots, on cheaper gear with a
power switch on back. VERY hard to find a replacement these days - I
remember Centralab used to advertise a system where you could snap a
combination of parts together to make up one of these.

They seem to be long gone now. Good luck. Even if you find one, if used /
eBay it may be in poor shape.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Simoc" wrote in news:1164217441.280032.134440
@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

[...]

So the unit arrived missing a pot? Better get the service manual, which
is easily available, according to Google:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8771&category=
64610

Then you'll have a clue to the wiring, and will know the part number for
the pot and can look for one. Some parts for this model are available
from

http://www.partstore.com

and if you're very, very lucky, they might have the pot you need. Good
luck!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

And while you're at it, lose the "top-posting" nonsense. No one elected you
sheriff of this one-horse town.

Nor you. Top-posting is not supported by netiquette, and has never
been.

If you don't have anything to say for the subject in question, don't
whine about a signature. Get a life. I'm not a sheriff, I'm a voluntary
worker. If I find you driving wrong side of road, I might complain,
even if I'm not a sheriff.

--
Top-posting not supported.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Land (NO SPAM) wrote:

So the unit arrived missing a pot? Better get the service manual, which
is easily available, according to Google:

Thanks for your suggestion, although it might be a bit expensive with
the costs of delivery to Finland...so I'm still hoping if it'd be
possible to go without it. But maybe it isn't :

Thanks, however.

--
Top-posting not supported.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Homer J Simpson wrote:
Concentric pots. The volume one is a pair of pots, on cheaper gear with a
power switch on back. VERY hard to find a replacement these days - I
remember Centralab used to advertise a system where you could snap a
combination of parts together to make up one of these.

Thanks for the info. If it's too hard, I might just substitute it with
a regular pot. But I still would like to know the pinout

--
Top-posting not supported.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Simoc wrote:
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

And while you're at it, lose the "top-posting" nonsense. No one
elected you sheriff of this one-horse town.

Nor you. Top-posting is not supported by netiquette, and has never
been.

If you don't have anything to say for the subject in question, don't
whine about a signature. Get a life. I'm not a sheriff, I'm a
voluntary worker. If I find you driving wrong side of road, I might
complain, even if I'm not a sheriff.

Sorry, but there's too many top-posting nazis around usenet. Just to be
clear, this is a generic statement and not directed at you personally.

If you research the subject there are uses for top-posting, bottom posting,
and middle-posting, replying in the middle of the OP's message to each
question raised.

I usually bottom post, but I refuse to be preached at on the subject by
people who have no tolerance for such a small thing.

Back on the subject of your vcr however, yes, the white rollers with the
metal slotted chrome at the top are the adjustments. To start with, adjust
the height of the roller so that the tape is not curling along the lower
cylinder while playing. From that point try to center the adjustment for the
least jitter, rolling, or snow. When you are nearing the correct adjustment,
the number of bars will decrease then at some point the entire picture will
appear. When this happens there will be a small range of adjustment which
will show some snow or jitter on either side - try to center this area for
each roller.

Set screws almost always go at 90 degrees to the post. If the screw points
down, or has red paint on it, leave it alone.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Simoc" wrote in news:1164369823.568626.28170@
45g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

Jim Land (NO SPAM) wrote:

So the unit arrived missing a pot? Better get the service manual,

which
is easily available, according to Google:

Thanks for your suggestion, although it might be a bit expensive with
the costs of delivery to Finland...so I'm still hoping if it'd be
possible to go without it. But maybe it isn't :

The service manual is also available for purchase and download as a PDF:

http://www.servicemanuals.net/result...12&model=SA323

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Simoc" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks for the info. If it's too hard, I might just substitute it with
a regular pot. But I still would like to know the pinout

The 'pinout' for pots is almost always 'standard', the most clockwise one is
high, the most anti clockwise one is low, the one in the middle is the
variable tap. You used to sometimes find another tap on the pot which gave a
sort of bass boost at low volume but that is very old now.

For the balance pot, the two outers are usually left and right and the
center is ground. How that relates to any ribbon cable is up to the makers.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

Sorry, but there's too many top-posting nazis around usenet. Just to be
clear, this is a generic statement and not directed at you personally.

Nazis

If you research the subject there are uses for top-posting, bottom posting,
and middle-posting, replying in the middle of the OP's message to each
question raised.

I consider bottom-posting and middle-posting to be ok, and also posting
without any quote if the reply is for the OP's first message and there
is no need to point out any certain part of that message. Actually,
this is the case some people think that the top-posting is the correct
way. But I just can't see a point there to include unnecessary quote
after the reply, since you still have to scroll all the way down to be
sure there isn't more text after the quote.

I usually bottom post, but I refuse to be preached at on the subject by
people who have no tolerance for such a small thing.

Btw, I'm sorry too, and I don't wanna flame you personally either. I
also understand, that many would like to regard top-posting as "such a
small thing". But because of experience, I have to disagree, since I've
seen too many threads in which you can see many replies consisting 90%
of quotes, and some messages top-posted so that you have to really look
for the quote to which is the reply...don't wanna read that anymore..

Back on the subject of your vcr however

Thanks for your instructions. Btw, this vcr in question was a tossed
one which I picked up. I noticed, that there weren't proper audio
either. I partially re-read the repairfaq, and I adjusted the A/C head
with its instructions, too. I got good audio. Also a sync problem of
some degree, that it seemed to have, seemed to disappear. Then I
adjusted the tape height.

Now the picture seems to be a lot better, but it has some horizontal
steady vibration, mostly on the bottom edge. What might be the cause? I
also noticed that the pinch roller is bad (I'll order a new one).

There is also one more confusing problem: When I turn it to pause, it
doesn't show the still picture. Instead, it shows a black screen with
some white horizontal lines flashing on random locations. And, when I
stop it and even eject the casette, it shows the same black screen
white white lines, also. When I turn the vcr to standby, then it shows
the proper snow screen (since connected via antenna cable). What might
be wrong?

Thanks again, and thanks in advance.

--
Top-posting not supported.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Simoc wrote:

[...]

The logical thing to do is use a standard ganged pot and lose the
ability to adjust them separately.

Re the pinout, again the logical thing is to connect all wires together
each via a say 1k resistor, switch on and use a sig gen or finger to
find out which has no sensitivity (common ground), which has max
senitivity (to wipers of pot tracks) and the other 2 will be the high
ends of the pot tracks.

If you want to find one of these pots its a lot of extra work for not
much, but if you do the search term is 'cheapo 1970s pos design.'

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Simoc" wrote in message
ups.com...

Thanks, a great idea. But actually, I recently figured out myself a
different kind of idea, would that work? The thought:
-(I actually have already known the gnd, since it's easy to measure
ohmically to some known gnd point), then:
-To feed a signal to the input of the amp
-To find by a scope, which two wires have that signal -- the high ends
-The rest two ones -- the wipers

Can you clarify?

Are there two pots total which adjust separately or together or one ganged
pot and one separate balance pot?