Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.sport.golf

Default Electric Golf Trolley Controller

I hope this is the correct group - please feel free to redirect me if
not...

I have an electric golf trolley which has developed a fault....upon
opening up the controller I noticed that one of the components was
burnt out....

When I tried to remove the component the casing fell apart, which meant
that the part number was unreadable....

I am now trying to figure out what part it actually was....

There is a similar looking component next to it, which from the
markings (B2060) seems to be a Schottky Rectifier (but I am not sure).
This component is made by a different manufacturer from the one that
fell apart, and is connected to the positive feed from the battery.
The one that fell apart is connected to the negative feed from the
battery, and made by IRF.

I think it might be a "55V Single N-Channel HEXFET Power MOSFET in a
TO-220AB package" (From the IRF website this is one of the only units
that has an N in the product code - which is the only letter I can make
out on what is left of the component)

Would one of these be present on such a device ?

Any other advice?

Sorry, but my knowledge of electronics is pretty poor.....

Many thanks

Andrew

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.sport.golf

Sorry - I completely forgot to mention that...

It is one of these I believe

http://www.ykfeiya.com/htm/big.php?pid=167

Many thanks

Andrew

Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 03:33:27 -0800, andrew.carroll Has Frothed:

[...]

Would help to know the make and model of the golf cart (trolly)?

COOSN-266-06-25794

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.sport.golf

I tried e-mailing them, but I got an error message back, so I have also
filled out the feedback form on the website in the hope I get a
response that way.

Thanks

Andrew

Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 07:31:27 -0500, Meat Plow Has Frothed:

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 04:21:33 -0800, andrew.carroll Has Frothed:

Sorry - I completely forgot to mention that...

Hah, no problem.

It is one of these I believe

http://www.ykfeiya.com/htm/big.php?pid=167

Many thanks

Andrew

Ok, it's made by Yongkang New Feiya. Let me see what I can dig up for you.

Contact Jack Xu:

Maybe he has service literature in the form of a PDF or a service manual
to help you identify the part.

COOSN-266-06-25794

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.sport.golf

Meat Plow wrote:
[...]

Sounds pretty likely, I'd expect there to be several MOSFETs in the
controller, is it in parallel with any other similar looking components?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.sport.golf

There is a very similar looking component right next to it, although it
has different markings.

The one I have removed was connected to the negative feed from the
battery, with one of the other pins connected to a resistor.

The other, similar one, has one pin connected to the positive battery
terminal (which is also shared with the positive feed to the motor),
and one of the other pins is connected to the negative feed to the
motor.

Sounds pretty likely, I'd expect there to be several MOSFETs in the
controller, is it in parallel with any other similar looking components?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.sport.golf

In message . com,
writes
This looks like a very similar circuit to the one I am trying to
repair...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-Golf-...W_W0QQitemZ280
051304233QQihZ018QQcategoryZ40155QQssPageNameZWDV WQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The component that has failed is one of those under the heatsink (far
left of the picture)....with the insulating pads underneath

Thanks

Andrew

I would have to ask why not just buy that one then, it's only 19.50and
it's highly likely to be more reliable than something that's been
repaired. Are you in the UK? If so, roughly where, I may be able to
help.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.sport.golf

Clint Sharp wrote:
In message . com,
writes

This looks like a very similar circuit to the one I am trying to
repair...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-Golf-...W_W0QQitemZ280
051304233QQihZ018QQcategoryZ40155QQssPageNameZWDVW QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The component that has failed is one of those under the heatsink (far
left of the picture)....with the insulating pads underneath

Thanks

Andrew

I would have to ask why not just buy that one then, it's only 19.50and
it's highly likely to be more reliable than something that's been
repaired. Are you in the UK? If so, roughly where, I may be able to help.

Why would it be more reliable than something that was repaired? A
quality repair will often fix shortcuts taken in the original manufacture.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.sport.golf

In message kQJ8h.6566$LH2.1243@trndny04, James Sweet
writes
I would have to ask why not just buy that one then, it's only
19.50and it's highly likely to be more reliable than something that's
been repaired. Are you in the UK? If so, roughly where, I may be able
to help.

Why would it be more reliable than something that was repaired? A
quality repair will often fix shortcuts taken in the original
manufacture.

Agreed, that's a very good point but the OP stated he knows little about
electronics so I would suspect this isn't going to be the case here. Of
course, there may be another fault and the new unit may burn up
immediately. If he's doing it to learn then it's obviously not going to
help either.
--
Clint Sharp

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.sport.golf

Hi Clint,

That is my fall back plan.....although the one on the auction looks a
little more up to date, as it actually has proper connectors on it
rather than having all the wires soldered to the circuit.

I thought it might be a learning experience to have a go myself first
though....

I am in the UK - Leighton Buzzard to be precise..

Many thanks

Andrew

Clint Sharp wrote:

In message . com,
writes
This looks like a very similar circuit to the one I am trying to
repair...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-Golf-...W_W0QQitemZ280
051304233QQihZ018QQcategoryZ40155QQssPageNameZWDV WQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The component that has failed is one of those under the heatsink (far
left of the picture)....with the insulating pads underneath

Thanks

Andrew

I would have to ask why not just buy that one then, it's only 19.50and
it's highly likely to be more reliable than something that's been
repaired. Are you in the UK? If so, roughly where, I may be able to
help.
--
Clint Sharp

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.sport.golf

Hi Franc,

I think you are probably correct - My initial checks had suggested that
it was the power MOSFET, and the ones I am looking at are 50v with an
RDSon of 0.014, which I believe is low.

Many thanks

Andrew

Franc Zabkar wrote:

On 21 Nov 2006 04:35:37 -0800, put finger to
keyboard and composed:

There is a very similar looking component right next to it, although it
has different markings.

The one I have removed was connected to the negative feed from the
battery, with one of the other pins connected to a resistor.

This is probably the motor driver MOSFET. Before you replace it, I
would check all its support components, and I'd also confirm that the
motor is OK. At the very least I'd check the brushes.

When replacing the MOSFET, choose a high current, low RDSon type. You
may find that ST Microelectronics have a cheaper, more readily
available range than IRF.

The other, similar one, has one pin connected to the positive battery
terminal (which is also shared with the positive feed to the motor),
and one of the other pins is connected to the negative feed to the
motor.

I think that is probably a back-emf suppression diode, eg MBRB2060CT
(20A, 60V).

Sounds pretty likely, I'd expect there to be several MOSFETs in the
controller, is it in parallel with any other similar looking components?

If the golf cart is designed to travel in the forward direction only,
then a single MOSFET would suffice.

- Franc Zabkar