Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Seafarer

Default Remote Golf Trolley

Hi
Got two remote golf trolleys,one not working that I keep for
spares.Point is,both RF handsets are a different frequency.They won't
interchange.Other than taking the whole assembly off the spare is
there a way of adjusting the spare handset to my current ones
frequency?
Indeed how can I find out what the frquency is from my current
handset, as the way my golf is I'll probably lose it someday!
Manufacturer is in USA and out of business so can't go there.
Just finding the Frequency would be helpful.
Retired engineer with scope and freq.counter,function gen,logic probes
the lot if needed to get it.
Never had anything to do with this type of problem.Cheers

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jumpster Jiver

Seafarer wrote:
Hi
Got two remote golf trolleys,one not working that I keep for
spares.Point is,both RF handsets are a different frequency.They won't
interchange.Other than taking the whole assembly off the spare is
there a way of adjusting the spare handset to my current ones
frequency?
Indeed how can I find out what the frquency is from my current
handset, as the way my golf is I'll probably lose it someday!
Manufacturer is in USA and out of business so can't go there.
Just finding the Frequency would be helpful.
Retired engineer with scope and freq.counter,function gen,logic probes
the lot if needed to get it.
Never had anything to do with this type of problem.Cheers

Name the manufacturer. Maybe someone here knows about it.
In general, maybe there are interchangeable crystals inside the
transmitter and the receiver. Open it up and look for a matching set.
Then simply changing the crystals to anything in the same frequency
range should be possible, as long as it's an FCC legal freq.
If the frequency is controlled by a microprocessor or eeprom, you will
need more specific information about how the manufacturer programmed
each unit to be on a different frequency, and get a hold of the
equipment they used to change it.
As an alternative, if you are into experimenting with hardware/software
integration, you can reverse engineer their system and reprogram it
yourself.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Seafarer

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 18:45:33 GMT, Jumpster Jiver
wrote:

Seafarer wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info,I didn't want to open up the handset just yet as
it's the only one.Perhaps later I'll swap it with the spare assembly
from the dud trolley and have a look inside.
In my days,not sure about now,you could attach a reciever plugged into
your scope and when a command was triggered up came the wave form on
the scope with the frequency easily workrd out.
I thought there maybe something along those lines where I could see
both waveforms and adjust from inside one.Thanks again.Frank

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Seafarer" wrote in message

In my days,not sure about now,you could attach a reciever plugged into
your scope and when a command was triggered up came the wave form on
the scope with the frequency easily workrd out.
I thought there maybe something along those lines where I could see
both waveforms and adjust from inside one.Thanks again.Frank

Two thoughts here. Firstly, you appear to ber confusing the carrier
frequency of the transmitter with the clock frequency of the data, but
they're two entirely different things.

Secondly, a scope is not much use in determining the spot frequency of a
transmitter - that is what your frequency counter is for. The devices in
question possibly operate in the UHF band, so your frequency counter will
need to operate up to the frequency of the transmitter, or you'll need a
prescaler suitable for the job.

All you need to do is inject the transmitter output into the counter,
preferably not by direct coupling as it may damage the counter depending on
the transmit power, and it should display the frequency. You could try a
length of wire in the of the counter's input socket, and operate the
transmitter and see what happens.

Your best bet IMO is to simply transfer the RF section from the spare cart
to the good one should you lose the remote. The frequency is likely set by
crystals and replacements would have to be specially cut, and to do this the
crystal manufacturers would need info on the circuit design. It's very
unlikely to be a case of simply tweaking the device on frequency, crystal or
pll control of transmitters has been standard for a long time now. The
reciever might be a different matter, but as you have a spare RF section I
don't see it's worthwhile fiddling around.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Seafarer

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 14:22:13 -0000, "Dave D"
wrote:

"Seafarer" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the info,it seems the way to go is as you say,then again if
I swap units I'll still end up with one handset but at least Iknow
what to look for.Many thanks.