Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default making 3v ac adapter?

Is there any way to make a 3v ac adapter by myself? Where would I get
the parts?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

a mp3 player

i think 500 mA
Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 11:23:32 -0800, Has Frothed:

Is there any way to make a 3v ac adapter by myself? Where would I get
the parts?

What will it power?

COOSN-266-06-25794

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

schreef:

Is there any way to make a 3v ac adapter by myself? Where would I get
the parts?

As others have pointed out, such an adapter costs only a few (10) $,
and
making one yourself would cost more in parts alone, not even counting
hours.

If you want to do it for fun, learning, there are 2 basic ways to go
about it.

The 'old fashioned' way is use a transformer, say 110V (or 240V if in
Europe) to say 6V,
a thermal fuse against the transformer so it cuts the mains in case of
short
or overload, a brige rectifier, an electrolytic capacitor, a regulator
chip (for example the LM317,
with associated resistors to set it to output to 3V DC, and an output
filter capacitor.
Depending how much current you draw you can select a wattage for the
transformer,
and see if you need a heatsink for the LM317.

The 'modern' way is to rectify the 110V (or 240V) (fuse in series
again), and use a switching circuit,
with a much smaller and lighter ferrite core transformer, followed by a
rectifier.
This is not for beginners, so maybe some time after you get to grips
with the first method....
In all cases it is important to realize the output must galvanically be
separated from the mains
supply, and put in an electrically isolated housing (plastic), or if in
a metal housing, then that
housing must be grounded.

It is probably better from a safety point of view if you just buy an
adapter, make sure it is
'stabilized', else you are likely to hear some hum from the ripple at
the output :-)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

" wrote:

Is there any way to make a 3v ac adapter by myself? Where would I get
the parts?

If you need a DC output, Nokia's ACP-7U cell phone chargers are 3.7
VDC @ 340 mA. They are all over the place, cheap, or even free.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...

Is there any way to make a 3v ac adapter by myself?

Yes. But why?

Where would I get the parts?

Any supplier.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

a mp3 player

What's wrong with Wal-Mart?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:42:20 -0000, Morse wrote:
"jasen" wrote

what uses 3V AC ? 9V, or 12V is much easier to find

Plenty of portable gear (MP3 or CD players etc) that runs on 2 AA or AAA
cells has 3V or sometimes 4.5V sockets.

9V, or 12V is much easier to find

It used to be when portable stuff used several cells, less so these days
where 2 - 4 AA cell supplies are common.

Yahbut. Like he asked: what uses 3V _AC_ ?

All the 3.xV wallwarts I've seen for cell phones (and others) have
been DC.

And, like a previous poster mentioned, there are crates of them at
Goodwill, Salvation Army, ARC, and other second-hand stores. Folks
break/have stolen/lose their cell phones at a somewhat higher rate than
their associated wallwarts. :-) You may have to buy 2 of them: 1 with
the correct voltage and one with the correct plug. Usually works out to
be $1+$1 -- and it goes to a worthwhile cause.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http//jonz.net/ng.htm
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"Allodoxaphobia" wrote in message
It used to be when portable stuff used several cells, less so these days
where 2 - 4 AA cell supplies are common.

Yahbut. Like he asked: what uses 3V _AC_ ?

Well, the poster I replied to said 9V and 12V were more common, he didn't
specify DC ;-)
If he'd said that 9VDC and 12VDC were more common than 3VAC I'd have agreed
with him. My point is that low voltage wall warts like 3V are much more
common than they used to be since MP3 players and the like became
widespread. All my universal wall warts have a 3VDC setting.

Also, it is common for people to come to this group asking for an X volt AC
adapter, when what they mean is an X VDC *AC adapter*, if you get what I
mean. It's a very common mistake so it's possible the OP meant an AC adapter
that puts out 3 VDC, but as he seems reluctant to take part in the thread he
started and give us some useful info on what he wants to achieve, we may
never know.

I'd put money on the OP needing a DC adapter, I can't see an MP3 player,
assuming it's portable, having rectifier/smoothing cap in it rather than in
the adapter, it'd be a pointless waste of space.

How his MP3 player will handle 3VDC from one of these cheapo unregulated
wall warts is another matter. It may have been designed for this scenario,
or it may have been designed for a 3VDC regulated supply available at an
inflated price from the manufacturer.

All the 3.xV wallwarts I've seen for cell phones

They are a different ball game as they are custom made and are often SMPSs.

(and others) have
been DC.

I have seen plenty of AC out adapters- the old NES and SNES games consoles
had them for starters. It made sense and is good design practise to have the
smoothing caps away from the hot transformer where possible. Obviously this
is not often desirable in very compact portable equipment like MP3 players.

Morse

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Is there any way to make a 3v ac adapter by myself? Where would I get
the parts?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Also, it is common for people to come to this group asking for an X volt AC
adapter, when what they mean is an X VDC *AC adapter*, if you get what I
mean. It's a very common mistake so it's possible the OP meant an AC adapter
that puts out 3 VDC, but as he seems reluctant to take part in the thread he
started and give us some useful info on what he wants to achieve, we may
never know.

I'd put money on the OP needing a DC adapter, I can't see an MP3 player,
assuming it's portable, having rectifier/smoothing cap in it rather than in
the adapter, it'd be a pointless waste of space.

I don't think it's incorrect to call an adapter that puts out DC an "AC
adapter". It adapts the AC wall current to whatever the device requires.
It's a common term and one I've always used.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet ) writes:

Also, it is common for people to come to this group asking for an X volt AC
adapter, when what they mean is an X VDC *AC adapter*, if you get what I
mean. It's a very common mistake so it's possible the OP meant an AC adapter
that puts out 3 VDC, but as he seems reluctant to take part in the thread he
started and give us some useful info on what he wants to achieve, we may
never know.

I'd put money on the OP needing a DC adapter, I can't see an MP3 player,
assuming it's portable, having rectifier/smoothing cap in it rather than in
the adapter, it'd be a pointless waste of space.

I don't think it's incorrect to call an adapter that puts out DC an "AC
adapter". It adapts the AC wall current to whatever the device requires.
It's a common term and one I've always used.

No it's not incorrect.

But the original poster never declared what kind of voltage he needed,
and from there it's easy to read "3v AC adaptor" as "3vac adaptor". I
know I did it on a subconcious level.

This thread is neither a design issue, nor a repair issue.

But the original poster compounded it by not specifying the voltage
type he needed and seemed vague about the needed current requirements.

If he's not sure, or can't convey it, the rest of us shouldn't be
the ones to try to figure it out. If he'd not mentioned "MP3 player",
there is very little clue about what is needed.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" wrote in message

Also, it is common for people to come to this group asking for an X volt
AC adapter, when what they mean is an X VDC *AC adapter*, if you get what
I mean. It's a very common mistake so it's possible the OP meant an AC
adapter that puts out 3 VDC, but as he seems reluctant to take part in
the thread he started and give us some useful info on what he wants to
achieve, we may never know.

I'd put money on the OP needing a DC adapter, I can't see an MP3 player,
assuming it's portable, having rectifier/smoothing cap in it rather than
in the adapter, it'd be a pointless waste of space.

I don't think it's incorrect to call an adapter that puts out DC an "AC
adapter". It adapts the AC wall current to whatever the device requires.
It's a common term and one I've always used

So have I, but you appear to be missing the point. I simply made a
distinction between AC adapters with DC outputs and adapters described as,
in the OP's case, '3 V AC adapters', which can lead to misunderstandings in
circumstances like may have happened in this thread.

'3V AC adapter' is an ambiguous term in certain situations which leaves the
reader in doubt as to the output of the device, like what appears to have
happened in this thread.

Morse

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On 20 Nov 2006 21:02:38 GMT, Michael Black wrote:
James Sweet ) writes:

[...]

You don't see/won't see a followup from the OP. The Op was just an all
too typical drive-by poster:

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http//jonz.net/ng.htm

Vent bathroom fan to ridge vent by constructing an adapter at ridge? Mike Home Repair 6 June 14th 06 03:23 PM
Pardon Lottery jim rozen Metalworking 37 April 12th 06 05:34 AM
Drawer making (traditional) howto help ? nigel Woodworking 12 December 28th 04 04:38 AM
Screw Making: Making a rounded edge on the screw tip George Sohnle Metalworking 6 October 30th 03 06:36 PM