Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Allodoxaphobia Allodoxaphobia is offline

Default making 3v ac adapter?

On 20 Nov 2006 21:02:38 GMT, Michael Black wrote:
James Sweet ) writes:

Also, it is common for people to come to this group asking for an X volt AC
adapter, when what they mean is an X VDC *AC adapter*, if you get what I
mean. It's a very common mistake so it's possible the OP meant an AC adapter
that puts out 3 VDC, but as he seems reluctant to take part in the thread he
started and give us some useful info on what he wants to achieve, we may
never know.

I'd put money on the OP needing a DC adapter, I can't see an MP3 player,
assuming it's portable, having rectifier/smoothing cap in it rather than in
the adapter, it'd be a pointless waste of space.

I don't think it's incorrect to call an adapter that puts out DC an "AC
adapter". It adapts the AC wall current to whatever the device requires.
It's a common term and one I've always used.

No it's not incorrect.

But the original poster never declared what kind of voltage he needed,
and from there it's easy to read "3v AC adaptor" as "3vac adaptor". I
know I did it on a subconcious level.

This thread is neither a design issue, nor a repair issue.

But the original poster compounded it by not specifying the voltage
type he needed and seemed vague about the needed current requirements.

If he's not sure, or can't convey it, the rest of us shouldn't be
the ones to try to figure it out. If he'd not mentioned "MP3 player",
there is very little clue about what is needed.

You don't see/won't see a followup from the OP. The Op was just an all
too typical drive-by poster:

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http//jonz.net/ng.htm