Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art Art is offline

Default Need help finding a replacement fuse

Hi,

I have a Technics SA-GX500 receiver that stopped working -- turns out
it's a blown fuse and I'm having a really hard time finding a
replacement. It is a glass cartridge fuse, 125V 5A, has the code SOC
ST6 on it, and is approximately 32 x 5 mm. I combed through Google
search results, Radio Shack, Panasonic/Technics, etc but no luck.
Anybody have a reliable source where they think I could find this?

Thanks,
Art

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Art wrote:
Hi,

I have a Technics SA-GX500 receiver that stopped working -- turns out
it's a blown fuse and I'm having a really hard time finding a
replacement. It is a glass cartridge fuse, 125V 5A, has the code SOC
ST6 on it, and is approximately 32 x 5 mm. I combed through Google
search results, Radio Shack, Panasonic/Technics, etc but no luck.
Anybody have a reliable source where they think I could find this?

Thanks,
Art

Hi Art

I see you have tried to search around for your fuse, I lived in St.
Louis at one time and there is a manfacturer there names Bussman Fuse
Company, if memory serves me they are in a western suburb of Manchester
or Creve Cour. Other alternative is to change fuse holder for a more
common physical size to accept the fuses with the ratings you need.

Yours
Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Art" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have a Technics SA-GX500 receiver that stopped working -- turns out
it's a blown fuse and I'm having a really hard time finding a
replacement. It is a glass cartridge fuse, 125V 5A, has the code SOC
ST6 on it, and is approximately 32 x 5 mm. I combed through Google
search results, Radio Shack, Panasonic/Technics, etc but no luck.
Anybody have a reliable source where they think I could find this?

Isn't that the standard European size? Mouser?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1 Sep 2006 18:22:32 -0700, "Art" wrote:

Hi,

I have a Technics SA-GX500 receiver that stopped working -- turns out
it's a blown fuse and I'm having a really hard time finding a
replacement. It is a glass cartridge fuse, 125V 5A, has the code SOC
ST6 on it, and is approximately 32 x 5 mm. I combed through Google
search results, Radio Shack, Panasonic/Technics, etc but no luck.
Anybody have a reliable source where they think I could find this?

Thanks,
Art

That will be a common 3AG type fuse(1-1/4" x 1/4" or 31.8mm x 6.35mm).
If there is a T before or after the 5A marking it will be a delayed
action fuse. This type is common for fuses used ahead of switch-mode
psu's. Should be available from almost any electronics parts supplier.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ross Herbert writes:

On 1 Sep 2006 18:22:32 -0700, "Art" wrote:

Hi,

I have a Technics SA-GX500 receiver that stopped working -- turns out
it's a blown fuse and I'm having a really hard time finding a
replacement. It is a glass cartridge fuse, 125V 5A, has the code SOC
ST6 on it, and is approximately 32 x 5 mm. I combed through Google
search results, Radio Shack, Panasonic/Technics, etc but no luck.
Anybody have a reliable source where they think I could find this?

Thanks,
Art

That will be a common 3AG type fuse(1-1/4" x 1/4" or 31.8mm x 6.35mm).
If there is a T before or after the 5A marking it will be a delayed
action fuse. This type is common for fuses used ahead of switch-mode
psu's. Should be available from almost any electronics parts supplier.

Of course, the power supply may be shorted which blew the fuse. However,
fuses do sometimes blow on their own or due to a power surge so it's worth
trying a *single* replacment fuse. If it blows, then troubleshooting of
the power supply will be necessary.