Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Need connector type name for AC adapter

I've google'd the net and search this forum, but no luck. So,.......

I've encountered two of these little beasties this week. It starts with
a wall wart style AC adapter, plug-connected to a small cable, which in
turn is connected to a 12 VAC miniature halogen bulb. They are used to
illuminate floor-standing bubbling lamps, and other similar decorative
lights.

The connector, and what it might be called, is the bear! The male plug
is molded rubber, and the two connectors are a flat blade, 3/8 inch
long, about 1/8 inch wide. Near that is a round pin-like prong,
probably 1/16 in. or a little larger diameter. The configuration looks
kind of like this from the top (proportions are WAY off!):

___

This plugs into a wall wart style Class II transformer, low wattage
(15-20W), and the output is 12 VAC (don't know the amperage, but it only
needs to drive the miniature halogen bulb). The bulb look like overhead
projector lamps.

Now, my problem: I need to find a replacement wall wart transformer.
I've searched various suppliers including Mouser.com. I can find
transformers with the proper electrical characteristics, BUT the
secondary/output connector type is seldom described (if there is no cord
attached to it). And, I don't know the name of this connector type so I
can put it into a search engine.

Any help GREATLY appreciated!

Lakeside
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
wrote:
The connector, and what it might be called, is the bear! The male plug
is molded rubber, and the two connectors are a flat blade, 3/8 inch
long, about 1/8 inch wide. Near that is a round pin-like prong,
probably 1/16 in. or a little larger diameter. The configuration looks
kind of like this from the top (proportions are WAY off!):

___

Almost certainly a DIN speaker plug. An electronics supplier (Radio
Shack?) should have them.

--
*Money isn‘t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rheilly Phoull

wrote:
[...]

Why not take the opportunity to change the plugs to the normal DC plug &
socket ??

--

Cheers ......... Rheilly P

Where theres a will, I want to be in it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 00:35:20 -0500, put finger to
keyboard and composed:

The connector, and what it might be called, is the bear! The male plug
is molded rubber, and the two connectors are a flat blade, 3/8 inch
long, about 1/8 inch wide. Near that is a round pin-like prong,
probably 1/16 in. or a little larger diameter. The configuration looks
kind of like this from the top (proportions are WAY off!):

___

2 pin DIN plug/jack/socket?
http://www.wagner.net.au/Catalogue/07_09.pdf

- Franc Zabkar

The male end kind of looks like the DP2M jack, lower left corner of the
page. Of course, what I need is a wall wart that has the female
counterpart of that.

Great lead--many thanks, Frank.

Lakeside
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

The connector, and what it might be called, is the bear! The male plug
is molded rubber, and the two connectors are a flat blade, 3/8 inch
long, about 1/8 inch wide. Near that is a round pin-like prong,
probably 1/16 in. or a little larger diameter. The configuration looks
kind of like this from the top (proportions are WAY off!):

___

Almost certainly a DIN speaker plug. An electronics supplier (Radio
Shack?) should have them.

Dave and Eeyore,

Could be. But what I need is a wall wart with the female counterpart of
this plug. Could be RS might just have them. Many thanks for the tip.

Lakeside
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Rheilly Phoull wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Yup, could do that in the particular application. Just trying to save
some wiring, splicing, soldering, though. I figure if I found two
devices using this same kind of connector in one week, they gotta be
around somewhere!

Lakeside
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
wrote:
Almost certainly a DIN speaker plug. An electronics supplier (Radio
Shack?) should have them.

Dave and Eeyore,

Could be. But what I need is a wall wart with the female counterpart of
this plug. Could be RS might just have them. Many thanks for the tip.

I doubt you'll get a generic wall wart fitted with one. You'll need to
solder one on. They are available as line sockets.

--
*Women like silent men; they think they're listening.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ian field

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
Almost certainly a DIN speaker plug. An electronics supplier (Radio
Shack?) should have them.

Dave and Eeyore,

Could be. But what I need is a wall wart with the female counterpart of
this plug. Could be RS might just have them. Many thanks for the tip.

I doubt you'll get a generic wall wart fitted with one. You'll need to
solder one on. They are available as line sockets.

--
*Women like silent men; they think they're listening.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Plenty of wall-wart adapters with settable voltage, reversible polarity and
a star type multi connector on the end of the lead.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
ian field wrote:
Could be. But what I need is a wall wart with the female counterpart
of this plug. Could be RS might just have them. Many thanks for the
tip.

I doubt you'll get a generic wall wart fitted with one. You'll need to
solder one on. They are available as line sockets.

Plenty of wall-wart adapters with settable voltage, reversible polarity
and a star type multi connector on the end of the lead.

There are, but the requirement is for a 12 volt AC type for low voltage
lamps fitted with a 2 pin DIN line socket. Which isn't included on those
star type connectors.

--
*It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:25:02 -0500, put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 00:35:20 -0500,
put finger to
keyboard and composed:

The connector, and what it might be called, is the bear! The male plug
is molded rubber, and the two connectors are a flat blade, 3/8 inch
long, about 1/8 inch wide. Near that is a round pin-like prong,
probably 1/16 in. or a little larger diameter. The configuration looks
kind of like this from the top (proportions are WAY off!):

___

2 pin DIN plug/jack/socket?
http://www.wagner.net.au/Catalogue/07_09.pdf

- Franc Zabkar

The male end kind of looks like the DP2M jack, lower left corner of the
page. Of course, what I need is a wall wart that has the female
counterpart of that.

Great lead--many thanks, Frank.

Lakeside

I have seen that type of socket in transformers for Christmas lights.

- Franc Zabkar
Senior Member

Arrow

As Frank said, it seems that you have a 2-pin DIN connector.

Most novelty items, cheap garden lights etc. have the same type of power supply with a 2-pin DIN connection. Most of them are 12V and usually interchangeable.

I remember using a power supply intended for garden lights to power a mini novelty disco ball/light which had a 2-pin DIN socket.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ian field wrote:
Could be. But what I need is a wall wart with the female counterpart
of this plug. Could be RS might just have them. Many thanks for the
tip.

I doubt you'll get a generic wall wart fitted with one. You'll need to
solder one on. They are available as line sockets.

Plenty of wall-wart adapters with settable voltage, reversible polarity
and a star type multi connector on the end of the lead.

There are, but the requirement is for a 12 volt AC type for low voltage
lamps fitted with a 2 pin DIN line socket. Which isn't included on those
star type connectors.

--
*It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Some of the more common multi-pin din sockets will take plugs with less
pins.

The OP might not want to break open a wall wart, but last time I needed an
AC one for a Hayes modem I opened an adjustable wall-wart and linked out the
rectifier, the LED can continue to work as well by adding an anti-parallel
1N4148 to protect it from reverse voltage and reduce the resistor to
compensate for only conducting on half cycles.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
ian field wrote:
There are, but the requirement is for a 12 volt AC type for low
voltage lamps fitted with a 2 pin DIN line socket. Which isn't
included on those star type connectors.

Some of the more common multi-pin din sockets will take plugs with less
pins.

The DIN 2 pin is unique - it has one large flat pin and one small round -
the OP gave an ascii drawing.

It's true that there is an intentional allowing of some pin combinations
to mate with a different socket - this was to allow a degree of mono
compatibility when stereo arrived. Hence the rather strange pin out of a 5
pin DIN designed for stereo in and out to say a tape recorder.

--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ian field wrote:
There are, but the requirement is for a 12 volt AC type for low
voltage lamps fitted with a 2 pin DIN line socket. Which isn't
included on those star type connectors.

Some of the more common multi-pin din sockets will take plugs with less
pins.

The DIN 2 pin is unique - it has one large flat pin and one small round -
the OP gave an ascii drawing.

It's true that there is an intentional allowing of some pin combinations
to mate with a different socket - this was to allow a degree of mono
compatibility when stereo arrived. Hence the rather strange pin out of a 5
pin DIN designed for stereo in and out to say a tape recorder.

--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

One large flat pin and one very small round pin sounds very much like a
loudspeaker plug!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
ian field wrote:
The DIN 2 pin is unique - it has one large flat pin and one small
round - the OP gave an ascii drawing.

It's true that there is an intentional allowing of some pin
combinations to mate with a different socket - this was to allow a
degree of mono compatibility when stereo arrived. Hence the rather
strange pin out of a 5 pin DIN designed for stereo in and out to say a
tape recorder.

One large flat pin and one very small round pin sounds very much like a
loudspeaker plug!

Yup - that's exactly what it is - or rather was. I hope no quality maker
would be daft enough to use them these days - nasty things.

But I can confirm they're used for low voltage lighting - I've got a
couple here.

--
*Modulation in all things *