Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Mike S.

Default Sears dehumidifer problems

[I've cross posted this to what seemed to be the most appropriate places;
no flames please]

I have a 4-year old Kenmore 65-pint dehumidifer which sits in a basement
room containing electronics, etc. and I keep the relative humidity below
50%. It has functioned well until I turned it on for this summer season
(in the winter, hot air from the furnace keeps the room dry as a bone).
Nothing has changed in the room, or the basement, which would affect the
ease with which humidity could leak back into the room.

I keep a digital thermometer/hygrometer in the room (double-checked for
accuracy with another unit elsewhere in the house). The problem seems to
be the (digital) humidistat (which has a range of 40 - 60%) which now
seems to be about 10 - 15% too high. As a result, even with the dehumidifer
set at 40%, the steady-state humidity in the room barely goes below 50%.

I checked the warranty and it only applies to the sealed components
(condenser, compressor, etc) so I opened the unit and found no evidence of a
humidistat adjustment or trimmer. The humidity sensor is mounted on the
inner frame of the unit, within the stream of air flow between back to
front, next to the sides of the coils. When it has stopped running at an
ambient humidity of 50% (even though set to 40%) it restarts again when I
blow moist air from my mouth at the sensor.

It looks to be sourced from LG, and browsing in stores I see newer units
which allow set points down to 30% relative humidity, as well as low
temperature operation. I'm toying with the idea of simply replacing the
unit, but wonder if it's worth the expense of having a non-warranty
failure repaired - or the hassle of ordering a replacement sensor and
trying it myself.

Any thoughts?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
GregS

In article , (Mike S.) wrote:

[...]

My first thought is to rewire the unit with a remote humidstat.
The control really does not work all that well mounted
internally. Its kind of like a feedback system, since water
collected in the unit, evaporates and affects the internal
humidstat. I don't know whats more cost effective
as far a solutions. Try replacing the sensor???

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Mike S.

In article ,
GregS wrote:
In article , (Mike S.) wrote:

[...]

I thought of the placement of the sensor itself; however, I wonder about
its viability since this _used_ to work relatively accurately, and the
room and the basement it's in have not changed.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Jerry G.

The fault can be the humidity sensor, control board, or that the
cooling is a little weak due to some of the gas leaking out (bad
seals), or the lack of proper pressure from the condensor.

The service rep for your machine can test for the faults, and service
them. If you have an extended warrenty, this should all be covered.

Jerry G.
======

Mike S. wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Sam Goldwasser

"Jerry G." writes:

The fault can be the humidity sensor, control board, or that the
cooling is a little weak due to some of the gas leaking out (bad
seals), or the lack of proper pressure from the condensor.

The service rep for your machine can test for the faults, and service
them. If you have an extended warrenty, this should all be covered.

A couple tests to determine if it is a sensor problem or a loss of coolant
(which may be under your warranty) would be

1. After it's been running for a 15 minutes or so, are the evaporator coils
(the cold ones) more or less uniformly cold without ice? If they are,
then the sealed system is working fine. If only part of the coil is
cold and/or there is ice, then it's low on coolant.

2. If you set the humidistat at 50 percent, does it maintain 50 percent, or
would it then be around 60 percent? In the latter case, it's a sensor
problem.

Mike S. wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Given their cost of a new unit and the rip off sears service price your
much better off replacing the unit

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Sam Goldwasser

" writes:

Given their cost of a new unit and the rip off sears service price your
much better off replacing the unit

Heck, and I always thought this was a repair newsgroup. Seras isn't the
only option for repair.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Mike S.

In article ,
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"Jerry G." writes:

The fault can be the humidity sensor, control board, or that the
cooling is a little weak due to some of the gas leaking out (bad
seals), or the lack of proper pressure from the condensor.

The service rep for your machine can test for the faults, and service
them. If you have an extended warrenty, this should all be covered.

A couple tests to determine if it is a sensor problem or a loss of coolant
(which may be under your warranty) would be

1. After it's been running for a 15 minutes or so, are the evaporator coils
(the cold ones) more or less uniformly cold without ice? If they are,
then the sealed system is working fine. If only part of the coil is
cold and/or there is ice, then it's low on coolant.

OK. After running a few minutes, the center coils are definitely cooler
than the ones towards the top and bottom of the evaporator.

2. If you set the humidistat at 50 percent, does it maintain 50 percent, or
would it then be around 60 percent? In the latter case, it's a sensor
problem.

The unit consistently maintains a steady-state humidity 10 - 15% higher
than the set point.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Mike S.

In article ,
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
" writes:

Given their cost of a new unit and the rip off sears service price your
much better off replacing the unit

Heck, and I always thought this was a repair newsgroup. Seras isn't the
only option for repair.

I looked up the unit in the parts database and found that I can order a
replacement sensor assembly for $21. I will replace that first, and if
there is still a coolant issue once the humidistat issue is resolved, will
bring it in for warranty service (since the warranty only covers the
sealed coolant assembly).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
GregS

In article , (Mike S.) wrote:

In article ,
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"Jerry G." writes:

[...]

If the unit shuts off, they you still have reserve capacity.
I have one unit I have had for many years. It just started to show
signs of loosing freon. The last parts of the coil starts freezing.
Its still working though. Watching the moisture build up on
the coils will show if its basically working.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Sam Goldwasser

(Mike S.) writes:

In article ,
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"Jerry G." writes:

The fault can be the humidity sensor, control board, or that the
cooling is a little weak due to some of the gas leaking out (bad
seals), or the lack of proper pressure from the condensor.

The service rep for your machine can test for the faults, and service
them. If you have an extended warrenty, this should all be covered.

A couple tests to determine if it is a sensor problem or a loss of coolant
(which may be under your warranty) would be

1. After it's been running for a 15 minutes or so, are the evaporator coils
(the cold ones) more or less uniformly cold without ice? If they are,
then the sealed system is working fine. If only part of the coil is
cold and/or there is ice, then it's low on coolant.

OK. After running a few minutes, the center coils are definitely cooler
than the ones towards the top and bottom of the evaporator.

Probably not significant as long as no not cold-at-all or frozen coils.

2. If you set the humidistat at 50 percent, does it maintain 50 percent, or
would it then be around 60 percent? In the latter case, it's a sensor
problem.

The unit consistently maintains a steady-state humidity 10 - 15% higher
than the set point.

OK, that does sound like a sensor problem. There really should be some
way of adjusting the humidistat. You can also probably just buy an
aftermarket humisistat and mount it in there somehow. It should just
be a switch that turns the thing on when the humidity goes above the
set-point.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Sam Goldwasser

(Mike S.) writes:

In article ,
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
" writes:

Given their cost of a new unit and the rip off sears service price your
much better off replacing the unit

Heck, and I always thought this was a repair newsgroup. Seras isn't the
only option for repair.

I looked up the unit in the parts database and found that I can order a
replacement sensor assembly for $21. I will replace that first, and if
there is still a coolant issue once the humidistat issue is resolved, will
bring it in for warranty service (since the warranty only covers the
sealed coolant assembly).

Sounds like a plan. But do take another look at the humidistat. There
may be some magic screw you have overlooked.

It's quite possible for these things to shift calibration. It's probably
just a strip of a plastic-like material (used to be human hair but I don't
think they use that anymore!) that changes length depending on humidity.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Sam Goldwasser

(GregS) writes:

In article ,
(Mike S.) wrote:

In article ,
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"Jerry G." writes:

[...]

Good point:

3. If unit shuts off without reaching humidity set-point, not a cooling
problem.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Mike S.

In article ,
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
(Mike S.) writes:

In article ,
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
" writes:

Given their cost of a new unit and the rip off sears service price your
much better off replacing the unit

Heck, and I always thought this was a repair newsgroup. Seras isn't the
only option for repair.

I looked up the unit in the parts database and found that I can order a
replacement sensor assembly for $21. I will replace that first, and if
there is still a coolant issue once the humidistat issue is resolved, will
bring it in for warranty service (since the warranty only covers the
sealed coolant assembly).

Sounds like a plan. But do take another look at the humidistat. There
may be some magic screw you have overlooked.

It's quite possible for these things to shift calibration. It's probably
just a strip of a plastic-like material (used to be human hair but I don't
think they use that anymore!) that changes length depending on humidity.

The humidity setting is via a digital touch panel in front. I don't see
any way to tweak the adjustment as the sensor assembly is simply attached
by a long cable to the back of the PC board on the control panel.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
(Mike S.) writes:

In article ,
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
" writes:

[...]

somone suggested taking it in for service they charge so much thats a
loser. I repair machines for a living but some new stuff today is so
cheap and parts so expensive if available at all your just better off
replacing it

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Sam Goldwasser

(Mike S.) writes:

In article ,
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
(Mike S.) writes:

In article ,
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
" writes:

[...]

What's in the sensor assembly? If it changes resistance or something like
that perhaps it could be faked out.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Mike S.

In article ,
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
(Mike S.) writes:

In article ,
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
(Mike S.) writes:

In article ,
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
" writes:

[...]

I haven't removed or opened it. It's a small white box with a grating in
front, sort of looks like those little piezo sound transducers. Has a
3-pin connector on the bottom. Will look more closely when I open the case
to install the replacement.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Sam Goldwasser

T o d d P a t t i s t writes:

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

If only part of the coil is
cold and/or there is ice, then it's low on coolant.

Why does ice indicate low coolant?

If there isn't enough coolant, it basically expands and cools without
filling the entire evaporator coil and it gets colder in that limited
area.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Shawn D'Alimonte

Mike S. wrote:
I haven't removed or opened it. It's a small white box with a grating in
front, sort of looks like those little piezo sound transducers. Has a
3-pin connector on the bottom. Will look more closely when I open the case
to install the replacement.

If it is the style I am familiar with it acts as a variable capacitor.
Something about a membrane that absorbs water with an electrode on each
side. When I used one it was in an oscillator circuit with a
microprocessor measuring the frequency. They are non-linear and
somewhat temperature dependent.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Dave M.

(Mike S.) wrote in
:

[...]

Mike,

I went through 5 dehumidifiers in one summer due to bad humidity sensors.
I then found gas leaks at a few black pipe joints. "Knock on wood" the
latest dehumidifier has not changed since new, but I have to set it at
35% to get 66% humidity (an obvious calibration offset) . If the gas
polution wasn't the cause, There is a really bad quality issue with
dehumidifiers with many manufacturers, I.E. Maytag, LG, Goldstar,
Whirlpool and GE with the above humidity accuracy problem. The humidity
readouts just pegged at the top of the scale and the compressors would
not run.

I wish I could find a good old horses hair or cellophane humidistat
controled unit!!

Dave M.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Don Wiss

On 23 Jun 2006 11:22:49 -0700, " wrote:

a friend who works for sears reported getting may dehumidifers back and
finding the digital control boards failed often.

see the store they might just give you a new one if its the bad model...

You will get better results if you write to the Sears president. Someone in
his office will take care of the problem.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike S.

In article ,
Shawn D'Alimonte wrote:
Mike S. wrote:
I haven't removed or opened it. It's a small white box with a grating in
front, sort of looks like those little piezo sound transducers. Has a
3-pin connector on the bottom. Will look more closely when I open the case
to install the replacement.

If it is the style I am familiar with it acts as a variable capacitor.
Something about a membrane that absorbs water with an electrode on each
side. When I used one it was in an oscillator circuit with a
microprocessor measuring the frequency. They are non-linear and
somewhat temperature dependent.

I was hoping you'd say there is a trimmer adjustment on the back :-) ....

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike S.

In article ,
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
(Mike S.) writes:

In article ,
Shawn D'Alimonte wrote:
Mike S. wrote:
I haven't removed or opened it. It's a small white box with a grating in
front, sort of looks like those little piezo sound transducers. Has a
3-pin connector on the bottom. Will look more closely when I open the case
to install the replacement.

If it is the style I am familiar with it acts as a variable capacitor.
Something about a membrane that absorbs water with an electrode on each
side. When I used one it was in an oscillator circuit with a
microprocessor measuring the frequency. They are non-linear and
somewhat temperature dependent.

I was hoping you'd say there is a trimmer adjustment on the back :-) ....

But if it is a capacitor, you could add a trimmer or fixed cap in series
or parallel to change the setpoint.

Thanks for that .. when swap in the replacement I will examine the
existing sensor for possible future intervention.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Follow-up to this thread: Basement getting awfully damp while I wait for
the replacement sensor. In the end I took it to Sears for an estimate.
They acknowledged that it had 1 year remaining warranty on the sealed
components (but not the rest). Today (2 weeks after drop-off) I received
two messages from Sears on my answering machine.

The first message was an apology for the delay, and they would be
contacting me soon.

The second was a statement that Sears had decided to replace the
dehumidifier rather than attempt repair; and I would be notified shortly
when to pick up the new unit.

When I pick it up, I'll turn in the sensor for credit. All's well that
ends well ... though I suppose I won't know for sure now whether the
problem was the coolant or the electronics/sensor.

Linux is Driving me $#@!!!! nutz!!! Gunner Metalworking 115 January 14th 06 07:49 PM
Sears appliance "service" bg Home Ownership 7 July 25th 05 05:02 AM
OT Rant: Sears Parts/Service John Moorhead Woodworking 9 July 8th 05 04:24 AM
Sears Ace Home Repair 8 November 16th 04 07:52 PM
Maytag Neptune Washer lousy customer service for repair; I would think twice next time and buy from Sears wkearney99 Home Ownership 0 November 28th 03 09:01 PM