Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Sam Goldwasser

Default Sears dehumidifer problems

(GregS) writes:

In article ,
(Mike S.) wrote:

In article ,
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"Jerry G." writes:

The fault can be the humidity sensor, control board, or that the
cooling is a little weak due to some of the gas leaking out (bad
seals), or the lack of proper pressure from the condensor.

The service rep for your machine can test for the faults, and service
them. If you have an extended warrenty, this should all be covered.

A couple tests to determine if it is a sensor problem or a loss of coolant
(which may be under your warranty) would be

1. After it's been running for a 15 minutes or so, are the evaporator coils
(the cold ones) more or less uniformly cold without ice? If they are,
then the sealed system is working fine. If only part of the coil is
cold and/or there is ice, then it's low on coolant.

OK. After running a few minutes, the center coils are definitely cooler
than the ones towards the top and bottom of the evaporator.

2. If you set the humidistat at 50 percent, does it maintain 50 percent, or
would it then be around 60 percent? In the latter case, it's a sensor
problem.

The unit consistently maintains a steady-state humidity 10 - 15% higher
than the set point.

If the unit shuts off, they you still have reserve capacity.
I have one unit I have had for many years. It just started to show
signs of loosing freon. The last parts of the coil starts freezing.
Its still working though. Watching the moisture build up on
the coils will show if its basically working.

Good point:

3. If unit shuts off without reaching humidity set-point, not a cooling
problem.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/