Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Shuman

Default Chicago, IL West Suburbs Hitachi Big Screen Repair

Looking for a recommendation for a TV repair person (someone who can
diagnose and not just a serviceable module replacer) located in the Far
West Chicago suburbs who does quality work to look at my 12-year old Hitachi
50" Ultravision (50UX15K - AP33 Chassis). Seems the protection circuit is
activating upon power up. Set worked perfectly since it was new with the
exception of a defective power relay which I replaced about 5 years back.

The set automatically shuts down about 1-2 seconds after turning it on and
prevents trying to turn it on again unless the AC power is disconnected for
a few seconds and the circuit gets reset. (Done this twice to confirm the
issue.) I've had a quick look and don't see any obvious fried components
and there is no observable arcing with the lights out when this occurs. I
suspect a HV issue, possibly one of the 3 CRT guns, although a less likely
possibility is the protection circuitry itself..

If anyone has anyone they can recommend, you can send email or post here.
Thanks in advance as we would like to keep the set if possible.

Bob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Travis Jordan

Bob Shuman wrote:
Looking for a recommendation for a TV repair person (someone who can
diagnose and not just a serviceable module replacer) located in the
Far West Chicago suburbs who does quality work to look at my 12-year
old Hitachi 50" Ultravision (50UX15K - AP33 Chassis).

12 years old? Time for a technology refresh.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Shuman

The Hitachi was very well made and has a very nice oak cabinet. Quality
parts and workmanship on the PC boards. It has been pretty much flawless
and still has the same ultrasharp picture as the day it was brand new. Why
would I just go and replace it before I know the cost to repair it? This is
certainly not the advice I expected from an electronics repair newsgroup
where many of the posters make a living from repairing sets like these.

Bob

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
. ..
Bob Shuman wrote:
Looking for a recommendation for a TV repair person (someone who can
diagnose and not just a serviceable module replacer) located in the
Far West Chicago suburbs who does quality work to look at my 12-year
old Hitachi 50" Ultravision (50UX15K - AP33 Chassis).

12 years old? Time for a technology refresh.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tech Data

If you can wait a day, I've written a friend who has a shop in your
area and is an outstanding tech. You have a great product but, they do
require experience knowing how to isolate which shutdown circuit is at
fault. You have around 5 or 6 on that chassis. I didn't want to post
his info in the open with out his permission. I'd love to work on it
but, being in south Texas, it'd be a helluva service call. If you don't
find someone, I'll let you know tomorrow.

www.techdata-kicksass.net

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Shuman

Unfortunately we did not wait and had a serviceman out earlier today. He
took the power supply/HV board and said it needed to be diagnosed on the
bench since the module is no longer available. He seemed to know his stuff
so hope the unit comes back with Electrolytics all replaced. Thanks for the
offer of help though... The family is lost without the Hitachi TV.

Bob

"Tech Data" wrote in message
oups.com...
If you can wait a day, I've written a friend who has a shop in your
area and is an outstanding tech. You have a great product but, they do
require experience knowing how to isolate which shutdown circuit is at
fault. You have around 5 or 6 on that chassis. I didn't want to post
his info in the open with out his permission. I'd love to work on it
but, being in south Texas, it'd be a helluva service call. If you don't
find someone, I'll let you know tomorrow.

www.techdata-kicksass.net

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tech Data

Well, as long as the end result is the same is all that matters. Not
sure how he's going to jig the chassis for shutdown but, hopefully it
all works out. Good luck.

www.techdata-kicksass.net

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g. beat

"Bob Shuman" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Bob -

Better Radio and TV here in Elmhurst, IL (in phone book) works on a number
of the larger TV sets.
Get referrals form a number of resellers.

Management is changing (June 1) - George is retiring after 40 years in
business -
but he is still there through transition.

g. beat

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Shuman

Thanks. The wife wanted it fixed so we used the Yellow Pages and found a
local Naperville outfit to use. They came right away (two days ago), ran
some tests, then took the PSU board to refurbish it since new PC modules are
no longer in stock. Hope to get it back later today.

Bob

"g. beat " @spam protected wrote in message
.. .