Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Blondie

Default Question: Sony KV-27S22 Average lifespan of the unit?

Hello All,

My Sony television ( a 1997 model) began exhibiting problems this morning.
The picture started flashing on and off (continuous sound though) for about
ten seconds. Didn't think nothing of it, and turned the unit off after
breakfast. Came back at lunch, turned the unit on, and no picture ( but I
did have sound). Turned the unit off, waited a few seconds, and turned the
unit back on. Their was the usual few seconds warm up delay and this time
the picture came on, but their was this huge flash when it did. The picture
stayed on but the color was out of whack, everything displayed had a
pinkish/red tone to it. I tried all the usual menu adjustments, but to no
avail.

Now I don't expect anyone to try and diagnose what the problem is, but I
would like to know about what the average lifespan of a Sony unit like this
is? As I pointed out it's a nine year old unit, and I wouldn't want to
spend any money having this unit repaired if it is near the end of it's
average service life. Any input would be appreciated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Common on these. The CRT is going.

The green gun is the most commonly affected on these. I dunno if it's
because it's in the center of the neck and runs hotter or if their
green phosphour is not as efficent and it's driven harder.

Whatever the reason, you are probably ready for a new set, or another
used one. I can get a CRT (picture tube) for these I think for about
$200, add about $100 for installation and chassis maintenence and your
set is a bit better than a new one, but parts will become NLA (no
longer available) as time passes.

You can probably watch it for awhile if you turn up the G2 or do a
restoration on the CRT, but either option is short lived.

If I had to get a TV I would look for an old RCA with a CTC169 chassis.
They are not too bad, if you go buy a new set, I have no
recommendations. Just buy what you want and don't get too attached to
it.

I just tossed my Mom's 27TS27 alomg with it's third CRT, time comes.
Sony CRTs simply do not hold up.

Go ahead and buy a new Sony if you want, five years from now when it
gets the "pink blink" syndrome, get another. It won't be nine years
this time, but it wouldn't be with any other brand anyway.There is
always something that kills enoiugh sets so the manufacturer stays in
business.

For now, stay away from DLPs and LCDs unless you have alot of money.

JURB

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
wrote:

The green gun is the most commonly affected on these. I dunno if it's
because it's in the center of the neck and runs hotter or if their
green phosphour is not as efficent and it's driven harder.

On most the red is hardest driven. Many old Sony Tvs had an external
green drive control. Some thought that this meant the green lost
emission first, but in fact it was there to allow easy compensation for
the red ageing.

--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dani

The picture tube is very likely getting bad. You need a Tech to look at
it.
You have two choices....the Tech does I mean. Read my post from a
while ago. Dani.

I would like to share this great tip with all you great helpfull Tech's

out there! This is only for Technicians who really know there way
around the inside of a T.V.! Please don't just anyone try this!! If you

don't have a proper CRT rejuvinating set, this will be a great fix, for

an otherwise lost cause.

Sony 1 K problems, that is T.V.'s with the red, or green, or blue
having too low, or high of an emission to get a raster due to the
"blanking circuit", can be solved with an odd, & somewhat dangerous
technique! With the set off, unsolder each cathode on the CRT board,
then momentarily bridge the gap of each gun, one at a time, to see how
much emission there is. You will have to raise the G 2 pot to get a bit

of raster in a darkened room! Next solder the two good cathodes
(usually only one is out of gain specs), back, leaving the bad one. Now

this is where it gets dangerous!!! While the set is off remove the
focus line from the CRT socket ( 5000 volts), & while the set is
running, momentarily make contact with the unsoldered leg of the bad
gun. Do this with caution, & at least five times. It will try to arc,
but just keep a steady hand, & keep the wire with a good insulated tool

at the unsoldered leg only. Now, while the set is off, unhook the G 2
wire, & set it to about 200 volts DC unloaded, & charge a 100 uf
capacitor @ 250 volts. Do this two, or three times, then discharge it
to the unsoldered gun, while the set is runing. Do this charging, &
discharging to the gun at least five times! At this point, you should
see the bad gun get brighter, & brighter. I have done quite a lot of
experimenting, & this will save a lot of those Sony CRT's, that would
otherwise be toast. Grey scale comes back to within a close enough
spec, to make the customer happy. Just don't give a long warranty. Hope

this helps you all out. Take care, Dani.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I heard of people blasting crud off monochrome CRT cathodes this way
back in the 1950s. Like you say, don't give a long warranty.