Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Question: Sony KV-27S22 Average lifespan of the unit?

Common on these. The CRT is going.

The green gun is the most commonly affected on these. I dunno if it's
because it's in the center of the neck and runs hotter or if their
green phosphour is not as efficent and it's driven harder.

Whatever the reason, you are probably ready for a new set, or another
used one. I can get a CRT (picture tube) for these I think for about
$200, add about $100 for installation and chassis maintenence and your
set is a bit better than a new one, but parts will become NLA (no
longer available) as time passes.

You can probably watch it for awhile if you turn up the G2 or do a
restoration on the CRT, but either option is short lived.

If I had to get a TV I would look for an old RCA with a CTC169 chassis.
They are not too bad, if you go buy a new set, I have no
recommendations. Just buy what you want and don't get too attached to
it.

I just tossed my Mom's 27TS27 alomg with it's third CRT, time comes.
Sony CRTs simply do not hold up.

Go ahead and buy a new Sony if you want, five years from now when it
gets the "pink blink" syndrome, get another. It won't be nine years
this time, but it wouldn't be with any other brand anyway.There is
always something that kills enoiugh sets so the manufacturer stays in
business.

For now, stay away from DLPs and LCDs unless you have alot of money.

JURB